INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accessing remote external drive  (Read 1497 times)

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
Accessing remote external drive
« on: February 22, 2007, 09:26:33 am »

My server stores @ 33 K files, some of which are on a USB 2.0-connected external drive. All drives are shared and mapped to the wireless network, which is 802.11g. The client is connected to my audio system through a Xitel external DAC. I have MC 11.1.201 installed on both machines.

When I import files to the client's MC, files on the internal drives transfer cleanly. The external drive appears in the client import tree (and also under Drives and Devices, and in My Computer) but resists attempts to import. When I go to My Computer on the client, and attempt to open the server's external drive, I get the following message:

"You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
have access permissions.

Not enough server storage is available to process this command."

Based on some research, this appears to be a problem caused by Norton Anti-Virus resetting the ISRP stack size registry key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters). I've deleted Norton, cleaned it out of the registry, reset the key all the way to its maximum and rebooted, still can't load files from the server's external drive on the client MC.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Am I missing a step in allowing access to the server's external drive?

BTW, here's a link to the MS support site: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q177078

Z.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Accessing remote external drive
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:53:13 am »

When I go to My Computer on the client, and attempt to open the server's external drive, I get the following message:

"You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
have access permissions.
Is this "My Computer" in MC?  Or in Explorer?

And are you using Media Server?  Or just Windows Networking?

Have you tried a smaller library?

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
Re: Accessing remote external drive
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 10:16:22 am »

I've gone to My Computer in both, with the same result.

I'm using Windows Networking. I find the stream is more consistent than with the server but that may just be my set-up. When I go to the server, the entire library loads.

I'll see what happens if I slim down the library.

BTW, the same thing happens with WinAmp, which I loaded as a test to see if it was a limitation within MC. Can't get to any of the files on the server's external drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up