INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LAME plugin idea  (Read 1722 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
LAME plugin idea
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:06:32 am »

I was wondering if you would ever be able to add a few more presets to the drop down list of presets in the LAME plugin?

Alex B posted this:
Small Portable -V 6 --vbr-new
HQ Portable -V 5 --vbr-new
Normal -V 4 --vbr-new  (= --preset fast medium, this is directly mapped inside LAME)
High -V 2 --vbr-new  (= --preset fast standard, this is directly mapped inside LAME)
Extreme -V 0 --vbr-new  (= --preset fast extreme, this is directly mapped inside LAME)

And I think those would make great presets.  Perhaps you could rename Normal to Medium so it follows the standard LAME settings and then add the two more settings, -V 5 and -V 6.  I'm not sure what they should be named but HQ Portable and Small Portable would be okay.  Otherwise, perhaps Low and Lowest would be good.  I would also really like it if you could put in parenthesis the average bitrate expected for each rate...here is that I found on http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME#Recommended_encoder_settings

--preset fast extreme     245
--preset fast standard    190
--preset fast medium    165
-V 5 --vbr-new        130
-V 6 --vbr-new        115

That's really what I wanted to see all along because I know that I want at least 128, so V5 will have to do because I can't fit everything with medium.  Thanks!

scthom

Re: Scthom -- FLAC plugin idea
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:10:02 pm »

Ummm - I don't understand.  The settings you mention are for MP3, FLAC has level 1 through 8 as standard levels.  They're not the same.  Unfortunately, there's not a way to project the flac compression ratio in advance -- as a lossless format, it keeps everything and has to take what it's given.  MP3 can selectively throw things away to get the bitrate it wants.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Scthom -- FLAC plugin idea
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:57:50 pm »

lol.  I'm really sorry about that.  For some reason I associated the LAME plugin with you but I know without a doubt that you created the FLAC plugins.

Who actually made the LAME plugin for Media Center?  I know it is not included by default but is downloaded on-the-spot when it's requested.  Who created the plugin?

The 1-8 quality levels for FLAC are great.  I don't need words to describe them.  I just always use 8 anyway but the default of 6 works well for most people.
Pages: [1]   Go Up