INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatically tag files in a smartlist?  (Read 730 times)

Imran

• Recent member
  • Personal Superhero
Automatically tag files in a smartlist?
« on: March 16, 2007, 11:08:42 pm »

Alright, so I love Media Center, and I just got a creative MuVo media player (functions like a USB drive, no problem). The only issue I have is that the device uses folders instead of playlists, kind of a lame feature, but I have found ways around it.

For example, I currently have it so that anything with the genre of "Podcast" (as described in my podcast downloading settings) is automatically faced into a folder called "Podcast" (I set the file path to [Genre]). However, this is fine for my "Podcasting" smartlist, but for my "Gym" smartlist, I have multiple files from many different genres. So, when I export it to my drive, it shows up in different folders (what I DON'T want).  I could have created another tag field and used that as the folder ID, the problem with that is that since my podcasts download and tag automatically, I would have to re-tag every audio podcast as I download them.

Which leads to my question. Is there a way I can automatically tag files that happen to be a smartlist without any type of user input? Thus, I can define all files in my "Gym" playlist to have a tag of "Gym" and all of the files in my "Podcasting" playlist to have the tag of "Podcasts".

Thanks in advance fellow J River Whiz Kids! 

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Automatically tag files in a smartlist?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 11:34:55 pm »

Imran--

I'm no "whiz kid", but I'm smart enough to agree with you.  AFAICT, this functionality is coming.  Currently there is no way to do this without user input, although the input is fairly tame--you have to right-click the affected files over the library field you want, and then rename.  But you know this.

IMO, it will be version 12.1 or 13 before we see what you want.  Note:  the last time I said this, about tabs, the tabs showed up 20 minutes later--Matt likes his little jokes.  At any rate, jriver has stated that this "Auto-tagging" functionality is high on their list, they're only waiting to let the dust settle on the current implementation of "Otto"-import.

Glad to hear the MuVo is working out for you.  My personal experience with Creative is that you get a heck of a lot of audio for not too much money.
Pages: [1]   Go Up