INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing?  (Read 1456 times)

Slaughead

Syncing?
« on: April 01, 2007, 12:24:41 am »

My laptop got a virus and I had to system restore it.  All of my music was on that "old computer" and on my 5G iPod 30gb.  Now, I'm using the Media Center, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right:

Dumb question:  If I click sync, will it erase all of my files on my iPod and be a "new" iPod, or will it transfer all of my files to my computer?

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Syncing?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 04:35:26 am »

You need to be careful. If MC is configured to erase files on the iPod that are not in the synch list, then you will lose all the tunes in the iPod.

Just connect the iPod, do not synch yet. Look at the list of tunes that are on the iPod. You can select any or all and drag them to any folder on your PC. This way you will have a backup of your music. (BTW: You can't do that with iTunes. That feature alone make MC indispensable when it comes to iPods!)

Hopefully you're music was well tagged, if so, it will be quite easy to use MC to "rename from properties" all these files into a more suitable folder structure on you PC.

Michel.

Slaughead

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 07:42:11 am »

I'm getting a "cannot read source file from disk" message.  What am I doing wrong?

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 07:43:58 am »

I'm not sure. I never have seen that error message. Is it when you connect the iPod?

Slaughead

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 04:37:43 pm »

It's when I drag the files I want into the folder I want them in...  I'm supposed to do that, right?

Slaughead

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 05:59:20 pm »

Nevermind.  I just found out that you don't need programs if you only want your songs and don't need your playlists.  So, I did that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up