INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you like to have J.River port Media Center 12 to run on Linux?

Yes
- 12 (21.8%)
Yes, on Debian/Ubuntu distros
- 10 (18.2%)
Yes, on Red Hat distros
- 0 (0%)
Not particularly interested
- 17 (30.9%)
No, I love it on Windows only
- 3 (5.5%)
A Mac version
- 13 (23.6%)
Undecided
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: A Linux (or Mac) version of Media Center 12?  (Read 3928 times)

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
POLL: A Linux (or Mac) version of Media Center 12?
« on: April 09, 2007, 01:52:35 pm »

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before in a poll form, but as a relatively new convert to Ubuntu Linux, one of the major missing and "must have" pieces of software I need to be completely happy in Linux is a premier multimedia player (we all know I mean "Media Center 12").

After writing a Wiki entry about getting MC12 to work in Linux using Codeweaver's Crossover software, I thought that if enough forum members expressed an interest in a version of MC12 for Linux, that it might make it financially worthwhile for JRiver to seriously undertake a port to at least a Debian/Ubuntu and Red Hat based distribution of "LMC 12". How do you folks feel about it?
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: POLL: A Linux version of Media Center 12
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 02:56:30 pm »

Its been considered and discussed plenty of times before  :)
Trouble is the amount of work that it takes to port even a simple app, let alone something like MC12.

I will say this though- Both Linux & Mac are sorely lacking in a decent all in one media management app. Yes, there are programs that'll do music libraries, and plenty of video players, but there is no all in one killer app.
Market niche possibly, but would be a huge amount of work, for an uncertain return.

Final FYI- The internals of any distro are fundamentally the same, all that should be needed is the right libraries installed.

While I do support a *Nix version, unfortunately its not really going to happen any time soon. (Unless JR say otherwise anyway  :P )

Apologies, now responding to the person below me  ;D
FFDSHOW et al are not really a problem on Linux, but do pose some potential obstacles. The whole trouble is that several of the widely used windows codecs (WMA/WMV, MP3, DivX etc.) are non-free, with by default Windows only binaries. There are Linux versions, either using the Windows files, or reverse engineered bits, and the strict legality of these is sometimes questionable. (Largely America, stuff to do with the DMCA iirc) This can be got around by installing the appropriate W32codecs package for your distribution, but its one more thing that has to be considered.

-Leezer-

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 02:57:46 pm »

I think you can't use all features in linux, can you?

I mean ffdshow for linux?

and a Tv-card driver which supports Hauppauge, etc?

tn1
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 03:00:05 pm »

While I do support a *Nix version, unfortunately its not really going to happen any time soon. (Unless JR say otherwise anyway  :P )
We've been buying lottery tickets every week....

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 03:03:43 pm »

At this point MC is pretty much the only thing keeping me with Windows. I would gladly pay for a Linux license for MC.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 03:55:22 pm »

I'd rather see a MAC version.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »

I added a Mac option.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 04:10:39 pm »

I have heard this before someplace

ECHO, Echo, echo.....
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 05:52:11 pm »

Not particularly interested - which I perceive as not completely disinterested. A MAC option would be interesting, I suppose. It'd certainly make a MAC more desirable. However, I'd expect that kind of development effort to interfere with further development of the PC version, which might be quite upsetting.

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 08:24:48 am »

Not particularly interested - which I perceive as not completely disinterested. A MAC option would be interesting, I suppose. It'd certainly make a MAC more desirable. However, I'd expect that kind of development effort to interfere with further development of the PC version, which might be quite upsetting.

Exactly. Not particularly interested my self.
If it in any way would slow down the development on todays platform, it's a bad thing. Only way to counter this would be to hire more people. And therefor upping the expenses. That would probably result in MC prices going up, and number of potential users dropping.

That's the scenario playing in my head.

Wait until versjon 14, when everything is perfect  ;) Then go Windows, Linux AND MAC
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: POLL: A Linux (or Mac) version of Media Center 12?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 08:59:41 am »

I voted for Ubuntu before the OSX option was added.

I'd prefer to see an OSX version before anything.  Linux would be nice, but not top priority in my book (especially since it appears that it is possible to get it running through the commercial WINE implementation).  I also think that OSX would provide a greater opportunity for sales, as there really is not a competing application of any quality other than iTunes (not to mention the political mentality of some users in the Linux community and the obvious single-distribution market share advantage).

As I've said in the multiple threads on this subject before...

If there was an OSX native version of MC, I could guarantee at least 3-5 licenses sold myself.   ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

robydago

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 09:05:04 am »

I voted for OSX (switching my vote from linux, 'cause the MAC option was added later), but I think that before doing any porting I'd rather see more\improved features and stability and an interface re-design (especially adding much more customizable things).

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 09:54:10 am »

I think a Mac version would be interesting. I might even consider one myself if MC ran on it.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 11:08:47 am »

Not interested. I don't even care if MC works on Vista, that's one generation of Windows I'm gonna skip. XP will be my OS, at least for HTPC use, for the forseable future (3-4 years at least). Vista's the computer world's equivalent to Supernanny! And while Linux is OK, it's just not up there with XP in hardware support and ease of use for me. As for Mac...I'm just not intellectual enough for that! Too much redneck... I don't know how it is in the rest of the world, but here Mac is basically the university crowd's computer.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 12:17:33 pm »

I'd be happy to see the MC crew do a bit of poking to see what is needed to run the current version of MC in Wine or CrossOver. Isn't there a CrossOver version for OSX?

As for a native version for some other OS?
Doesn't appeal to me, I play with linux and OSX from time to time but have too many apps I am quite happy with in Windows to ever make a change. I stay passingly familiar with niche OSes, but stick with XP for the sheer number of apps there are.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 12:39:40 pm »

I think a Mac version would be interesting. I might even consider one myself if MC ran on it.

What ever do you mean?

(Click to enlarge.)

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 01:19:33 pm »

I'm not interested in a other OS-conversion. I mean the most used Os is windows. I would like to see a good, stable program for windows with some more features, than two Mc12 for two Oss without more features or unstable Mcs.

tn1
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 01:20:23 pm »

What ever do you mean?

(Click to enlarge.)

That's cheating.   ;)

I should have said Mac OS X.

robydago

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 01:57:39 pm »

just changed my vote from mac to not particularly interested
what I really need is fast, stable and full of features software programs: the os is an accessory (unless someone convince me that osx or linux have better software)

loki128

• Recent member
  • It's some desu.
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 02:21:43 pm »

I'd be happy to see the MC crew do a bit of poking to see what is needed to run the current version of MC in Wine or CrossOver. Isn't there a CrossOver version for OSX?

Tried CrossOver on my iMac. Media Center didn't take too well.

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 03:01:50 pm »

I'd be happy to see the MC crew do a bit of poking to see what is needed to run the current version of MC in Wine or CrossOver.

I'll agree. Perhaps if the MC crew could investigate and tell us what additional windows dll files are needed to get a little more functionality out of MC12 on Linux using WINE or Crossover, this would help those wishing to use MC12 on Linux now.

For example, what Windows dll's are needed to make "Theater View" work in Linux. Presently, Theater View crashes MC12.

Although GHammer has already posted a work around, which has been duly noted in the MC12 Wiki, adding built-in FLAC support to the MC12 builds would also help (not sure why this hasn't been done, unless it has something to do with the FLAC GPL license conflicting with JRiver's propriety software license?).
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 03:52:11 pm »

Could I please be added to the MC 12 Beta Team?  I see that Magic_Randy installed 12.0.210 which must only be available to the beta team.

I don't think J River should even touch another operating system.  When I see no requests or bug reports anymore and everything in MC works absolutely perfectly and no new hardware or conflicting software comes out, then they can start working on another OS.  Until then, they should keep making it the best Windows player ever.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 04:23:11 pm »

I see that Magic_Randy installed 12.0.210 ...

Actually that is not my PC.  I don't have a Mac.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 04:31:53 pm »

I meant glynor, sorry.  But you are also on the MC 12 Beta Team.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 01:47:59 am »

When I see no requests or bug reports anymore and everything in MC works absolutely perfectly and no new hardware or conflicting software comes out

Don't ask for much, do you? ;)

robydago

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 01:53:19 am »

When I see no requests or bug reports anymore and everything in MC works absolutely perfectly and no new hardware or conflicting software comes out, then they can start working on another OS.

When (and if) we all stop asking for more features, maybe MC will come close to that...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 07:04:31 am »

When I see no requests or bug reports anymore and everything in MC works absolutely perfectly and no new hardware or conflicting software comes out, then they can start working on another OS.

Don't ask for much, do you? ;)

;D  ;D  ;D

Now, that's comedy.  Just golden.

penname21

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 12:58:19 am »

Although I'm not wearing black turtle necks yet, I too have begun crossing over to OS-X and would LOVE to see a native OS-X version as MC 12 is one of only two programs that keeps me running XP.  I've been running MC on an iMac with Boot camp for nearly a year without any problems.  Rebooting the machine just to listen to music is of course, more than a trifling annoyance however.  I can't speak about the complexities of programming or the legalities of codecs but I can say that from a consumer point of view, J River would have a market in the OS-X world.  While iTunes' Cover Flow is very pretty indeed, I really don't want to flip through a couple thousand titles to find what I'm looking for.  Sure I can switch views and not use Cover Flow, but then why use iTunes?  Because there's no practical alternative.  iTunes is great for anybody who wants to play a few mp3s or buy music from apple, but for anyone with a large library who wants control over how the database is managed and displayed, there is none better than MC.  With both Boot Camp and VM Ware's Fusion now widely available and Leopard's imminent release, demand for a native OS-X version of MC can only grow.  We are out there and we're willing to buy! 

johnd126

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 11:55:25 am »

I would love an Ubuntu version. 

I'm quite tired of dealing with MS issues and too poor to afford a Mac.  Some experimenting with Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn) has shown that with a little tweaking it can work well for me on my main machine.  (My main reason for returning to windows -- Vista: don't ask -- was that Palm sync'ing wasn't reliable; but that's whole other issue.)

Seviien

• World Citizen
  • SteveG for President! :)
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 11:34:31 am »

With a fair amount of know-how and cajoling, MC runs  well when using Parallels.  There are only 2 small issues:

1.  iPod transfers are painfully slow (i think this is Parallel's fault.)
2.  MC can't use networked drives for all things.  For example you need to keep  album art on your parallels hard drive image, and you can't  rename files that are on a network from data in their tags.

Still, a native OSX version could be a good move if it didn't require much additional code.  Apple is only small share of the market, but the thing is that small share really cares about using media files (hence the whole iLife suite).
Pages: [1]   Go Up