INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are ratings stored in MP3 file tags?  (Read 1114 times)

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
Are ratings stored in MP3 file tags?
« on: April 23, 2007, 11:44:31 am »

I thought MC could save ratings in tags and I've checked the options for the field but still can't seem to get MC to save ratings to tags.

I've recently upgraded from 11.1 to 12 but have been snyching my iPod to 11.1.  There were loads of ratings on the ipod that were not synched so first I synched to 11.1 to get the ratings updated in my 11.1 library.  I saw the tracks in question update the ratings so all was good.  Then I went to 12, put the tracks in question in playing now and tried a 'Update library from tags' believing this would update the ratings in my MC12 library but no ratings changed.  I even went back to 11.1 and tried 'Update tags from library' then tried again but still no joy.  Any idea why?
JLee

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Are ratings stored in MP3 file tags?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 12:35:03 pm »

MC11.1 saves ratings in an ID3v2.3 custom comment field named as COMM Media Jukebox: Rating.

This was changed in MC12 to make it compatible with WMP and some other programs. Currently the ratings are saved in the POPM (aka Popularimeter) ID3v2.3 field. However, MC12 correctly reads the old Rating comment field and on the next tag update writes the info to the new field.

You can check the actual physical file tags by displaying the tag dump:

MC11.1,  Action Window > File Properties > File Type Info
 - look for COMM (Rating):

MC12,  Action Window > Tag > Format  (click the field for detailed info display)
 - look for COMM (Rating):   and POPM: <unknown data type> after a tag update

Edit

A question to Matt: Should MC show the POPM value instead of <unknown data type> ?

Edit 2

JLee, I removed a question which you already answered. Somehow I didn't fully read your post.  :)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up