INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Directshow default settings - proposed change  (Read 946 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Directshow default settings - proposed change
« on: May 28, 2007, 01:27:14 pm »

I just set up MC on a Vista laptop.

Based on past experience, I first installed the CCCP codec pack and then tested MC playback of the many different video formats in my library. I confirmed everything played correctly except mp4 files which played jerky with poor quality. The same mp4 files played correctly with other media players so I knew the system had the correct codec but MC was not using it.

I inspected Options\Playback\Directshow Settings\Directshow Filters and observed that mp4 was the only file type that was not selected by default. Upon selecting mp4 the files played correctly. Note that I did not need to specify filters for mp4, just enabling mp4 solved the problem.

So my suggestion to improve the user experience and to minimize support headaches is to default mp4 on in Directshow settings.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Directshow default settings - proposed change
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 06:33:13 pm »

This has been discussed before. For someone like you, who knows CCCP, it is definitely a good idea to use DirectShow to play mp4. Hopefully, someone who knows CCCP would also know where to change the settings. For a novice user, it may become a problem. We would get a lot of complaints from novice users about not been able to play mp4 podcasts.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

rjm

Re: Directshow default settings - proposed change
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 10:25:28 pm »

Thanks Yaobing,

I did not realize there was a reason to leave mp4 unselected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up