INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12 as portable app?  (Read 1878 times)

SnakeZZ

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
MC12 as portable app?
« on: June 21, 2007, 06:39:34 am »

Hi!

I am using my iPod for the occasional music listening but also as an external harddrive with lots of portable apps on it.
Now having all my songs on the ipod I would like to install MC12 on my ipod and carry it around with me. Is that possible? Are all configs written to the MC12 folder or stored locally in the computers registry?

Greetings from rainy Germany

SnakeZZ

Marquis

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: MC12 as portable app?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 07:39:32 am »

Hi Snake,

I don't know if it's possible to convert MC12 into a portable app, but this would be cool. I am using a lot of portable apps...

But I strongly believe, that it's not possible with MC12. A lot - maybe all - configuration settings are saved in the windows registry.

Cheers,
  Marc

scthom

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 09:10:54 am »

That's correct.  Almost completely stored in the Registry.  There may be an odd plugin or two that have their own config files.

cwilliams222

• Junior Woodchuck
  • What if we built a Large Wooden Badger.....
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 09:37:27 am »

I was just getting ready to post this as a request.  There are many programs/systems/etc. that allow apps to be run from USB/portable drives.  Would be great if MC12 had a version that allowed that to occur.  Many people would love to use the program at work for example, but can't do a full install of the program due to corporate policies, but if you could run the app from a an external usb/thumb drive, that would be great.  Run the program from the usb/thumb drive and have it point to wherever you can store the music or video files, then unplug when you are done and the program is gone.  Great scenario.....

dons

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 10:47:01 am »

I third this request.  I hate windows and especially its registry.  I would much rather see configuration files and relocatability of the applications. I have already moved my .ape files and database and all other data to NAS drives on my home network.  But in order to use this great program I have to install it.
I am in the same mindset as cwilliams222.  I would like to have this application with me and my portable drive wherever I go. :)
Buffalo Terastation, XP Running under Parallels on a Mac Mini, Roku M1000, Roku R1000, iPod Photo 60gig, MC12, over 18,000 songs in ape format.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 12:28:07 pm »

I got really confused when  I read this post, trying to understand
how you'd run MC on an IPod.  I understand now though you just
wish to move it round on your IPod.  That makes sense.
The only issue one might forsee is how it would work with
Multiple users?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 03:11:34 pm »

I got really confused when  I read this post, trying to understand
how you'd run MC on an IPod.  I understand now though you just
wish to move it round on your IPod.  That makes sense.
The only issue one might forsee is how it would work with
Multiple users?
And licensing?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

groovyd

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 03:24:15 pm »

What the windows world needs is a small app. that redirects registry access for a named program or branch of the registry  into and out of a file.  Something that quietly intercepts registry requests and writes and redirects them however you set it up so you could store your application data say in a folder under 'my documents' for example.  with this you could theoretically portable-ize any app you wanted.

is this idea obvious or is it something that technically is impossible?  i know this isn't a forum for geeks, but who knows...
Pages: [1]   Go Up