INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD cover art missing  (Read 2908 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
DVD cover art missing
« on: July 03, 2007, 10:42:38 pm »

I still don't have an answer as to what happened to the DVD cover art support.  It stopped working a while back...horrible, general guess would be around 12.0.100.  Before, MC would detect the folder.jpg file in the DVD folder.  I use the structure DVD_NAME/VIDEO_TS/files and I store the same folder.jpg beside the VIDEO_TS folder AND inside it beside the files.

MC just will not detect the cover art!  This is horribly annoying because I spent a lot of time cleaning up cover art for my DVD collection so browsing it would be nicer.  Do other people have this same problem?  I even just formatted my computers and reinstalled everything...so I doubt it's something specific to me.

Isn't this a popular feature?  What am I doing wrong?  Can this PLEASE be fixed?

Twit

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Seriously Overdue Question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 02:10:53 am »

I 100% agree.  I also think there should be an option to write an 'mcc.xml' file to the folder which contains all the data that the user had entered about the movie.

Besides the album art, who would want to name a movie VIDEO_TS. If I dump all my vob's etc into a folder named X without a VIDEO_TS folder, the movie gets called VIDEO_TS. Surely at first attempt jrmc should name it the name of the folder 'X" not the file!

Actually I think the xml file should be an option for all file types that cannot have data stored in a 'tag'. My hard drive died on me and I had to reinstall it all. My photo's have genre's and comments on all of them which i lost . YES I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE HAD A BACKUP OF MC DATABASE, but I didn't.

PS I half thought that the latest version did pick up my covers, I had actually manually moved some folders around, then did a rescan. All DVD's had album art (maybe from the local jrmc database?) but half the movies got called VIDEO_TS again.

benn600

Re: DVD cover art missing
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 10:13:36 am »

Lol.  Dare I ask if you're Leo Laporte?  I often think if the crew of guys (Twit, Digital Life, Diggnation, etc) knew about Media Center, their sales would skyrocket.  I don't recall anyone ever mentioning it ever.

benn600

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 10:15:12 am »

I'm confused why others are crying and moaning about this.  Aren't there a lot of people that manage their video collection with MC?  Don't a lot of them use direct DVD rips?  Don't they want a thumbnail for each one?  Without this capability, it doesn't even pull a screenshot from the movie.

This and iPhone support are on my most desired list (lol).

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 06:56:38 am »

I'm confused why others are crying and moaning about this.  Aren't there a lot of people that manage their video collection with MC?  Don't a lot of them use direct DVD rips?  Don't they want a thumbnail for each one?  Without this capability, it doesn't even pull a screenshot from the movie.

This and iPhone support are on my most desired list (lol).

I just rip the main movie as a single mpg file, tag it as a movie etc....JRThumb then does the rest...
JRiver CEO Elect

benn600

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 09:28:09 am »

Can I please get an answer from J River as to why this stopped working and still isn't working?  I remember being quite impressed with the ability because it gives exactly what CD cover art does.  You really don't want a thumbnail from the movie--the DVD cover is what matters.

Please explain the situation and fix it!

statious

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 03:21:06 pm »

My wife and I spent a little over five days copying over 290 DVDs  using the HTPC, a desktop, and my notebook onto two 500 internal drives and two 500 external drives). The key to the cover art locater is ensuring the names are accurate in the IFO. I took the time to name all of the IFO files to the exact name. When we ran the cover update it only found about 10%. So we spent an entire night after the kids were in bed on IMBD copying the cover art. I highly recommend that you use IMBD as your source as the cover art works flawlessly within MC.

In the end we have every DVD with cover art and it is simply amazing when you go through the folder within the theater view of MC.

The only thing I wish the MC was capable of is adding movie information like synopsis/genre/MPAA rating when you highlight over an IFO (granted with our entire movie collection, I would want this done by the MC as opposed to by hand :)

benn600

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 04:30:43 pm »

Where is the cover art stored?  In other words, please tell me the process you went through to get it working.  I store my cover art as folder.jpg files but MC does not seem to pick them up.  It used to!

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 02:39:46 pm »

Benn - in Tools->Options->File Location, what are the settings for Cover Art?

j

benn600

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 02:50:48 pm »

I'm not at home right now and my computer's off so I can't login to it but I really think it's folder.jpg because that's definitely what I use for music and if it's the same for music and video, then it should definitely be that.

It is just one setting so yes, it must be folder.jpg, which is how I store my DVD cover art--as folder.jpg files--and MC doesn't ever pick them up.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 03:21:07 pm »

Could you check when you get home?

Thanks,

j

Twit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 11:05:07 pm »

John,

The problem with the 'Cover Art' setting for me is that it is a 2 way setting. If i say my cover art is folder.jpg (which is the case for my DVD's) then all the cover art I add to my music gets saved as folder.jpg , which I do not want for my music. I tend to download a lot of 'single' tracks which all go into a 'singles' folder. Maybe the media types should be separated?

Later
Simon.

benn600

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 08:10:38 pm »

Could you check when you get home?

Thanks,

j

I just now checked and yes, Cover Art is set to:
In the same folder as the file (as Folder.jpg)

And the cover art does not appear.  Also, when I view a DVD file, my entire .... WOW.

It popped up!

Okay, here's what happened.
1. I viewed the setting as I just told you above.
2. Then I went to view and noticed my computer slow way down.
3. I quickly typed in the name of a specific movie I own.
4. It showed up in the view as VIDEO_TS.
5. My computer slowed to a crawl at 100% CPU usage...typing couldn't even come close to keeping up with me.
6. Then, I opened Task Manager and only milliseconds before I could end JRWorker, it appears to have closed (or finished).
7. The the cover art for the DVD did in fact appear!

So aside from the horribly slow computer while it does some work, it does pop up.  Any ideas what the 30 seconds of intense slow down for one movie might be?

Addition: I may have more insight.  I'm wondering if the slowdown was caused by the other videos that showed up when I first opened the video tab.  It seems to populate cover art faster if I let that delay finish...hmmm.  Wonder why I get intense slowdowns from time to time?
Pages: [1]   Go Up