INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bitrate, quality, bandwidth  (Read 1075 times)

CL Gilbert

bitrate, quality, bandwidth
« on: August 21, 2002, 07:48:02 am »

I have recorded lots of my CDs at 128kbps.  But comcast and ameritech only offer 128kbps upload.  Comcast is appearently capped too.  So I am really stuck.

I recorded these songs only to listen too, not for true storage, so most of my new ones are at 96kbps.  The ones at 128 often blink out when I connect to the music server to listen from work.

Does anyone know of an alternative to recording at 96kbps? is the quality at 96kbps noticably inferior?  If so, what does it take to realize the inferiority, a home stereo, a car stereo, headphones?

I must fall back from 128.  I'm scared of ogg because eventually I want to get a player to ski with and for my car.

help!

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:bitrate, quality, bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2002, 08:01:07 am »

MJ can use two or more libraries.  I keep a second library for just this purpose.  See Help on libraries.

Once you have a new one set up, import a few (before you do all) files, and convert them to a lower bitrate, being careful not to erase the original.

Experiment carefully first.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

barcode

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2002, 10:31:30 am »

speaking of second and third libraries, here's my situation...

library 1: archive (APE at high quality - for home listening and archiving)
library 2: streaming (mp3 at 128 - for work streaming)

when i'm converting my .APEs (from archive library) to .mp3s (to streaming library) i would like to be able to automatically import to and update the streaming library with the new mp3 files that have been converted from the archive library.  is this possible?

i know there's an update media jukebox library option, but i'm pretty sure that updates the current library if it's selected and not the destination library.  is there a way to specify which library to update?

thanks, randy.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

JimH

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2002, 10:42:22 am »

> i would like to be able to automatically import to and update the streaming library with the new mp3 files that have been converted from the archive library. is this possible?

If you mean updating Media Server, the only way to do this is to stop and start sharing.
Jim Hillegass

barcode

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2002, 11:01:57 am »

no, not the media server.  i have a library called archive and a library called streaming.  when i want to use the media server, i use the streaming library because the files are 128 mp3s.  my archive files (APEs) are too big for streaming.

when i've just ripped a cd into my archive library as APEs, i then convert them to mp3 for my streaming library.

in the convert dialog i can specify where to send the converted files and it also has an option to update media library but i don't think it's to update the current library (archive).  what i want to do is update the destination library (streaming) automatically.

right now what i have to do is:

file...library...streaming (switch from archive to streaming library)
tools...import media (to get the new mp3 files into the streaming library).

randy.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

JimH

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2002, 11:23:45 am »

Try switching to the streaming library and doing import and convert there.
Jim Hillegass

barcode

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2002, 11:24:56 am »

will do.  i'll let you know how it goes.  thanks, randy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up