INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DivX and 5.1 sound ?  (Read 2163 times)

Woqini

• Recent member
DivX and 5.1 sound ?
« on: July 10, 2007, 03:41:01 am »

I just purchased MC12 and it's great, but ....

I have ripped all my DVD's with Staxripper and the newest Divx codec. All files have AC3 5.1 sound. No problems whatsoever using VLC, GOMplayer and even Mediaplayer 11 - all files plays fine with surround sound.

MC12 is another matter though. No matter what i try there's no sound at all when i try to play my divx files.

Where can i select 5.1 sound for my videos in MC12 ??

aksdb

• Recent member
Re: DivX and 5.1 sound ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 04:12:54 am »

That should be a DivX option. DivX normally shows a tray icon during playback where you can select these things.

Woqini

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 04:20:04 am »

Not sure i understand ... WM11 and other players works fine without setting anything in DivX.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 09:34:36 am »

VLC and GOM Player use built-in codecs. WMP11 and MC12 use the installed DirectShow filters and if WMP11 can play the files correctly then MC12 should be able to do the same.

Is the file extension ".divx"? If yes, you could try to change the extension to ".avi".
AFAIK, MC should use Direct Show with both file extensions by default, but you can check that in Options > Playback > Direct Show Playback Settings...

You could test the files with the GSpot codec information tool. If GSpot can't render the files properly you could try the CCCP codec pack.

BTW, are you trying to decode the AC3 audio stream on the PC or are you trying to send it to an external decoder through SPDIF?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Woqini

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 10:47:04 am »

Thanks for your answer  :)

Extension is AVI.

I have an Audigy 2 ZS connected with regular jacks to my Logitech Z5500. I just ripped the DVDs with AC3 selected as audio using Staxripper.

MC is set to directshow ... i could understand if WMP11 didn't work as well, but thats not the case. It plays 5.1 just fine. I have tried every possible setting in MC but no luck ...... i'm lost.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 11:31:51 am »

While you play the video, right click in the video window and find "DirectShow Filters" submenu. What do you see listed there? You can find out which audio decoder is being loaded for decoding the ac3 audio.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Woqini

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 11:47:16 am »

Found it ... it says :

AVI: AC3 parser filter, Creative AC3 source filter and finally Windows media renderer 9

AC3: AC3 parser filter, Creative AC3 source filter.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 12:21:52 pm »

These look a bit strange. Did you look at the list while MC was playing the divx file?

I would expect something like this:

Default DirectSound Device        (or whichever audio renderer you selected)
Video Mixing Renderer 9             (or whichever video renderer you selected)
An Audio decoder                     (this would be a decoder that is capable of decoding ac3 audio)
A Video decoder                       (this would be a decoder that is capable of decoding Divx video)
AVI Splitter                             (this item is grayed out)
File Source (Async.)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 12:31:37 pm »

Also, while playing the file in Windows Media Player, you can right-click the file name under Now Playing, and select Properties. The resulting window should tell you which audio and video decoders that Windows Media Player uses. You can tell MC to use the same decoders.

Woqini

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 01:18:21 pm »

Hi again

WMP11 says video decoder is Xvid Mpeg 4 decoder and audio is Nero audio decoder 2.

I have tried setting Nero audio decoder 2 as "other filter" in MC AC3/DIVX/AVI but no luck

I just tried settinge gretech audio and video filters in MC /AC3/DIVX/AVI and now i have sound. So far so good  :) all four speakers are playing but not the center speaker.

What´s the difference between "source filter" and "other filter" ??

There are one billion filters to choose from .... that's a lot of combinations  :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 02:01:19 pm »

Here's good info:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide

In any case, the Nero audio decoder may not be the best option for AC3 decoding. I would recommend installing the CCCP codec pack instead of trying to force MC to use the Nero decoder. Possibly just installing CCCP is enough for fixing the problem and no additional tweaking is needed.

Personally I use AC3 Filter in addition to CCCP because I like the AC3 and DTS configuration options in AC3 Filter better. However, CCCP's FFDShow audio decoder should be fine for basic AC3 decoding.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Woqini

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 02:14:01 pm »

I will try downloading the cccp codec pack and see if it helps - thanks for all your help, i'll let you know about my progress.

That wiki guide will be bedtime reading  :)

Woqini

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 02:27:44 pm »

:) :) :)

CCCP codec saved my day .... 5.1 sound works in MC now and videos plays much more smooth now. It was a bit jerky before installing CCCP.

Thanks a lot guys for all your help  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up