INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aspect ratio problem  (Read 1654 times)

Woqini

• Recent member
Aspect ratio problem
« on: July 12, 2007, 03:26:40 am »

I know there are tons of guides and wikis on this subject, but i'm an idiot.

PAL DVD's are 720x576 and when played on my Sony DVD player on my 37" LCD TV it's full screen and aspect ratio is correct.

If i rip a DVD using AutoGK, Staxripper etc. the result is usually 720x384 or 720x400. Playing these files usually result in thick black borders top and bottom. If i try to change aspect ratios in MC to fill the screen the movie gets all pixelated and blocky.

Why isn't it possible to do a 1:1 conversion from DVD (720x576) to Divx/Xvid and get the same result on my TV as i get using med Sony DVD player ?

I have tried using all kinds of aspect settings in MC ... panavision, anamorphic, source, fullscreen etc. but it looks weird when playing my divx files.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Aspect ratio problem
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 11:49:55 am »

I know there are tons of guides and wikis on this subject, but i'm an idiot.

PAL DVD's are 720x576 and when played on my Sony DVD player on my 37" LCD TV it's full screen and aspect ratio is correct.

If i rip a DVD using AutoGK, Staxripper etc. the result is usually 720x384 or 720x400. Playing these files usually result in thick black borders top and bottom. If i try to change aspect ratios in MC to fill the screen the movie gets all pixelated and blocky.

Why isn't it possible to do a 1:1 conversion from DVD (720x576) to Divx/Xvid and get the same result on my TV as i get using med Sony DVD player ?

I have tried using all kinds of aspect settings in MC ... panavision, anamorphic, source, fullscreen etc. but it looks weird when playing my divx files.

I could be wrong, but I think this might be a limitation of AutoGK, which was really designed for NTSC DVDs.  You might want to check out AutoMKV, which can also do XviD-AVI conversion and which has an "AutoCrop Only" sizing setting which works quite well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Woqini

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 12:26:31 pm »

Tnx, downloading now to test it  :)

Woqini

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 01:37:10 pm »

Oh, just one more thing.... how can a PAL movie with 720x576 aspect ratio be widescreen - that's beyond me.

Woqini

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 03:55:25 am »

Please  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up