Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BACKUP  (Read 7071 times)

soothsayer

• Recent member
BACKUP
« on: July 25, 2007, 02:04:03 pm »

Unfortunately my pc has hardware issues and I need a new build. While it's still running, are there any good tutorials on how to backup JRiver MC12. I'd hate to lose anything! ?
HP Laptop i7-6700HQ
CPU@2.60GHz
RAM 8G/Win10 64-bit
Marantz AV8801 preamp via
HDMI to Panasonic 1080p 65"
NAS WD MyCloud EX2 with 12TB

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: BACKUP
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 02:23:40 pm »

Try to store as much in the tags as you can.  Then make sure you have a big hard drive or two to keep duplicates of your entire MC library on.  Just backup the media files--wherever you store them--and your MC database (library) files.

soothsayer

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 02:29:59 pm »

I forgot to say that all my music is on external drives (7 250G and 1 500G). I just want to make sure I don't lose anything that's with the app.
HP Laptop i7-6700HQ
CPU@2.60GHz
RAM 8G/Win10 64-bit
Marantz AV8801 preamp via
HDMI to Panasonic 1080p 65"
NAS WD MyCloud EX2 with 12TB

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 03:24:23 pm »

I forgot to say that all my music is on external drives (7 250G and 1 500G). I just want to make sure I don't lose anything that's with the app.

1. Backup the library to one of your external drives. (Library/Library backup - specify the drive and folder in the dialog that comes up.)

2. Make a copy of the application data folder for MC 12.  (For my PC that is c:\Documents and Settings\HP Administrator\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\.  In place of HP_Administrator, use yoiur login user name.)

3. Export the registry settings for MC 12 using regedit.  (Start/Run/regedit.)  The info i know about is in

My Computer\HKey_Current_User\Software\JRiver\Media Center 12.  Be quite careful when you are using Regedit. 

There may be other places where info is stored.  Perhaps someone from JRiver could comment.

I'd also browse the Tools/Options dialog and make a list of options you have changed from the default.  When I move to a new PC, remembering those option values is always tough.

When you connect the external drives to your new PC, drive letters may be assigned differently.  You should be able to tell Windows what drive letter to use and to make it permanent.  Do that before you fire up MC 12 on the new PC.

Bill

benn600

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 06:16:05 pm »

They NEED to store all settings in database--no registry plz! Feature request!!

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 06:04:18 pm »

They NEED to store all settings in database--no registry plz! Feature request!!
x2
. . . the game is rigged

Listener

• MC Beta Team
not quite
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 06:13:00 pm »

> They NEED to store all settings in database--no registry plz! Feature request!!

Since you can specify the location of the database file for each library, MC 12 has to store those path names. 

You can define more than one library. There are settings that apply to all libraries, so storing them in one or all library databases would be awkward.

So MC 12 needs to store some info outside the database(s).  That doesn't have to be in the registry but it needs to be somewhere.  I'd prefer that it not be in the Registry too.

Bill

rmarmes

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 06:29:50 pm »

S,
If possible after you make your backup, try to restore on another machine just to be sure you can.   I opted to simply "Back Up Library", thinking that "Restore Library" would make me whole again after my rebuild.  Didn't work.  At this point I've lost four user defined fields, along with their data.   I should have tested my backup approach - that was my bad.
R

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 10:47:21 am »

Windows likes to have the settings stored in the registry. Without it MC would probably not do that great. But I do agree there should be an option to backup the registry settings (prefferably together with the library backup), but it should be optional to back up, and to restore. Sometimes you want to start with fresh settings, even if you import your library backup...

It is possible to backup this setting today. You just have to do it manually.
Go Start - Run and hit regedit. Go to HKEY_Local_Machine and HKEY_Current_User -> Software -> JRiver and right click and export (maby local_machine is not needed as it mostly contains old plugin info?).
It saves alot of time when you need to reinstall.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 11:13:54 am »

It is possible to backup this setting today. You just have to do it manually.
Go Start - Run and hit regedit. Go to HKEY_Local_Machine and HKEY_Current_User -> Software -> JRiver and right click and export (maby local_machine is not needed as it mostly contains old plugin info?).
It saves alot of time when you need to reinstall.
not all are experienced enough to be comfortable editing in the registry, "joe user" for example
. . . the game is rigged

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 11:33:13 am »

I know. That's why there would be good with an option within MC to do this.
In the meantime, those of us who are brave enough can operate in the registry.
Just wanted to mention it if there are ppl how can make a use of it.

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 02:20:50 pm »

I know. That's why there would be good with an option within MC to do this.

I TOTALLY agree. MC should be able to save all settings and views in a "one button" backup. It would make the product much more attractrive to "normal" customers.

Michel.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 06:23:57 pm »

I suggest you look at the following link.  marko figured out how to do this using Genie backup software. It may be a solution for you.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33552.msg229758#msg229758

NoBS

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 02:59:13 pm »

Bumping to see if anyone is still interested in an easier way to export ALL settings and options within MC.
I just found glynor's script http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36031.0
Have not tried the script yet, just wondering why MC does not have this option built in, or if it does; I have yet found it after restore.
Thanks
What's an iPod?
Do apples have worms?
Rotten to the core.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 03:27:04 pm »

Count me in! It would be nice to back up a library and have it store everything, thumbnails , tagging info etc. included.

MrHaugen

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 02:01:54 am »

Count me in! It would be nice to back up a library and have it store everything, thumbnails , tagging info etc. included.

Amen! I'm all for that.
It's a tad annoying to do this complicated setup over and over again on each machine you install and reinstall. Really hard to get it the exact same way one each install to.

rjm

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 11:26:00 am »

This would be a very valuable addition to the product.

tinear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 06:55:48 pm »

A Most Excellent Idea!
That'd be a great improvement....
Fred

NoBS

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 09:42:09 am »

Seems this request might not be as popular as I'd have hoped, less than a year and not even a dozen request.

AFAIK, there is no way to import the main MC12 install custom View, Display, Toolbar or (the ultimatein transfer...) option settings into the portable install.

Guess my cheat sheet stays  :-\
What's an iPod?
Do apples have worms?
Rotten to the core.

MrHaugen

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 11:31:07 am »

Seems this request might not be as popular as I'd have hoped, less than a year and not even a dozen request.

There have been alot of requests for this, but not all of them in this thread...

NoBS

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 08:37:24 am »

Bumpity Bump
Oh those darned demanding customers  ;D
What's an iPod?
Do apples have worms?
Rotten to the core.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 09:26:02 am »

someday . . . . maybe
. . . the game is rigged

skylarplane

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 12:47:05 pm »

Why not make 'backup' with an option to backup ones entire system with an additional option of putting that backup where ever you want.  Then lets say you download what ever MC version you want, then be able to click on 'restore' and point to the total backup that you've created.  That way you have everything back as it once was.

Skylar

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 12:53:46 pm »

Why not make 'backup' with an option to backup ones entire system with an additional option of putting that backup where ever you want.  Then lets say you download what ever MC version you want, then be able to click on 'restore' and point to the total backup that you've created.  That way you have everything back as it once was.

Skylar
that would make sense, wouldn't it?
. . . the game is rigged

NoBS

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 04:05:58 pm »

Bump for spring cleaning ;)
What's an iPod?
Do apples have worms?
Rotten to the core.

MrHaugen

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 02:43:57 pm »

I can see a couple of potential problems here.

1. Settings might change from version to version. That makes it harder to restore backups to different versions.
   One way of coping with this is to ignore the settings not longer in the new version restoring to, and to have the never version use default settings if the setting can not be found in the backup.

2. There might be some restrictions as to export and restore settings in the registry. Especialy on Vista.
    Should be ways around this though.

NoBS

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 06:59:41 am »

A warm summer bump  ;)
Thanks!
What's an iPod?
Do apples have worms?
Rotten to the core.

benn600

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 09:30:37 pm »

A temporarily away from home in the summer bump.  Surprise me when I return home on or around August 23!

(All settings should be stored in the MC profile library -- location under File > Library ... and not registry)

Please avoid saving to any other location.  Saving here means that an entire MC experience (data, settings, configuration, skins, etc.) can be contained in a single library folder.  Please take some time and look at how Firefox & Thunderbird store their profiles.  You can open the profile manager with a command line addition on either shortcut.  Then you'll see something like MC's File > Library listing.  Each item contains literally near everything--including skins, add-ons, etc.  It's great because when I store the profile on a central server, going to another machine carries everything I could imagine.

When a "library" -- what is a good term to describe this database for mc -- is loaded containing network references then all locations (such as where to save ripped music) are obviously useful on any computer on the same network.  So saving this data in the "library" would be great.

This was my FIRST request EVER on this forum.  So it's my longest requested (a few years now).

rsbrux

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 06:24:11 pm »

Please, please, this has my vote too!  Aside from the backup utility, this information shouldn't be login- or user-dependent.

A temporarily away from home in the summer bump.  Surprise me when I return home on or around August 23!

(All settings should be stored in the MC profile library -- location under File > Library ... and not registry)

Please avoid saving to any other location.  Saving here means that an entire MC experience (data, settings, configuration, skins, etc.) can be contained in a single library folder.  Please take some time and look at how Firefox & Thunderbird store their profiles.  You can open the profile manager with a command line addition on either shortcut.  Then you'll see something like MC's File > Library listing.  Each item contains literally near everything--including skins, add-ons, etc.  It's great because when I store the profile on a central server, going to another machine carries everything I could imagine.

When a "library" -- what is a good term to describe this database for mc -- is loaded containing network references then all locations (such as where to save ripped music) are obviously useful on any computer on the same network.  So saving this data in the "library" would be great.

This was my FIRST request EVER on this forum.  So it's my longest requested (a few years now).
FSC Scaleo E upgraded w/Intel DH67BLB3 & Core i3 - 2100 3.1 GHz CPU
DigitalDevices DuoFlex CT & Octopus single CI
Pages: [1]   Go Up