INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Sound Card?  (Read 5118 times)

realdeal

• Recent member
Which Sound Card?
« on: August 18, 2007, 10:37:32 pm »

I would like to start playing my digital music collection on my computer through my receiver.  I am looking to make a digital connection from the sound card to the receiver.  What are some of the best options?  Is the Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro a good card?  What about the E-MU 0404?  In addition to listening to music, I am an avid gamer so need the soundcard to be compatible with gaming as well.

Thanks

realdeal

• Recent member
Re: Which Sound Card?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 04:35:13 pm »

*BUMP*

DaLarry

• Recent member
  • Yesteryear's technology RIGHT NOW!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 11:07:51 pm »

I would like to start playing my digital music collection on my computer through my receiver.  I am looking to make a digital connection from the sound card to the receiver.  What are some of the best options?  Is the Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro a good card?  What about the E-MU 0404?  In addition to listening to music, I am an avid gamer so need the soundcard to be compatible with gaming as well.

Thanks

I just went through that exercise.  I asked this question over on Audio Asylum (www.audioasylum.com) was recommended to try either a Lynx 2 (~ $675+) and an ESI Juli@ (~ $140+) because they both support ASIO (Don't ask me what that means) and kernel streaming (that either).  My PC had a Realtek HD chipset built in.  I went with the Juli@ and the difference it made was amazing.  JRMC12 supports ASIO but not kernel streaming.  I am not a hard core gamer but I do like my flight sims.  My games and internet radio goes through my Realtek HD and JRMC12 goes through the Juli@ card straight into my pre-amp.  The Lynx 2 may be $500 better than the Juli@ but I doubt it.  At least for my purposes.  I'm lovin' life right now.  Hope that helps a little. 
 :)
The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic.
Sir Arthur C. Clarke

realdeal

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 08:18:46 pm »

Thanks for the info.  Did you run into any issues having 2 sound cards in your computer?  Is the Juli@ card capable of playing decent game sounds? As I am an avid gamer.  Thanks

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 09:15:53 pm »

I'm another satisfied Juli@ user.  I use it and the onboard sound without problems.

Be warned that not all soundcards have drivers that work under Vista right now.

Nice to see you here, DaLarry.  (I'm OldListener on AudioAsylum.)

Bill

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 08:14:02 pm »

I have a M-Audio soundcard sending out a digital signal to my pre-amp. http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-focus.html Sound quality is great, supports asio (Audio Stream Input/Output: reduces latency see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_stream_input_output)
Pages: [1]   Go Up