INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: acoustic fingerprinting + weird recognition system  (Read 6837 times)

robydago

• Citizen of the Universe
acoustic fingerprinting + weird recognition system
« on: April 18, 2007, 07:41:36 am »

I don't know if it's feasible, useful, anyone care, etc., but what about integrating acoustic fingerprinting in MC?:
(this seems to be API aware)
http://www.musicip.com/dns/index.jsp
http://www.musicip.com/business/clientsdk.jsp
(this seems only useable by end users, but one could alwasy ask if it's usable by another app)
http://www.wildbits.com/tunatic/

And for something weird, what about integrating Tap recognition?... (I'm speechless!)
http://www.songtapper.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: acoustic fingerprinting + weird recognition system
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 09:15:06 am »

MC does "acoustic fingerprinting".  It's called Track Lookup.  It analyzes your music and makes a mathematical representation of the first few seconds of the sound, then tries to match it against our database.  If your tracks are well tagged, please upload your data.

robydago

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 09:22:50 am »

MC does "acoustic fingerprinting".

oops, than all MC lacks is the tap recognition system 8)

sorry, I'm a new user of MC and basically I'm still discovering all its (great!) features.

just out of curiosity, when did you release version 1 of MC? Your software is so powerful and full of features that I wonder how long did it take you to develop it!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 09:34:36 am »

Versions 1 through 8 were called Media Jukebox.  MJ1 was running in about 1998.  MC9 was about 2002.

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 09:20:15 pm »

I think that what MusicIP Mixer calls fingerprinting is different than what you call fingerprinting.

MusicIP generates a fingerprint that allows you to select one or more songs and it will generate a playlist with songs that are acoustically similar.  I've used the software and really like the capability, but don't want to have to open up the software to use the capability each time.  There is apparently an api/sdk - and I would love to be able to use the functionality in MC12.

Here's a link to the SDK:
http://www.musicip.com/business/clientsdk.jsp

Any chance of getting this feature request into MC?

Thanks,
Brett

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 09:27:57 pm »

Second vote for that here.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 02:04:07 am »

Third vote !
I was using the musicIP plugin on winamp, and I tried using musicip software to handle my library just because their "smart playlist" is really working great.
But there software is not free and neither is the SDK ...

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 05:54:52 pm »

What do you mean the software isn't free?  There is a free version, which doesn't allow some of the advanced playlist creation modes and limits the number of songs in a playlist to 75 or less.  But that's what I've been using so far much to my enjoyment!

Brett

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 10:14:18 pm »

I think this would be a great tool to add to MC.  I realize there may be some cost associated with it but as I increase my music collection I find I am spending more time trying to create playlists and less time enjoying my music. 

I just want to be sure it will work with Monkey Audio files. 

Tunetyme

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 03:37:52 am »

I'd like to give my vote for that to.

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 06:49:06 am »

I don't know if their SDK is free or not but I just guess that they won't share it freely since they are trying to earn money from their work.
But they did develop a (good) plugin for winamp so maybe they could be interested in developing such a plugin for MC ...
Maybe we should start a poll on this forum ?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 08:28:09 am »

So if I get this right, the plugin
- calcualtes fingerprints.
- you then compare yours with theirs via the net and they tell you which tracks would go together or close enough.

is that it ?

or do you need to use a special program just for that. if so what else does the plugin for winamp say, do to make it worthwhile.

Could it for instance allow you to identify duplicates in your own collection using nothing but the fingerprint ?

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 01:04:25 pm »

So if I get this right, the plugin
- calcualtes fingerprints.
- you then compare yours with theirs via the net and they tell you which tracks would go together or close enough.
is that it ?
Actually it calculates a fingerprint (their database is just here to speed up the process and enhance their algorithm) and if the song isn't in their database then a full analysis is performed. This analysis allows them to classify the song and suggest mixes of similar songs from a given library.
or do you need to use a special program just for that. if so what else does the plugin for winamp say, do to make it worthwhile.
Could it for instance allow you to identify duplicates in your own collection using nothing but the fingerprint ?
You can remove duplicates with musicip's software. Obviously, you can process the songs, fix tags, create moods ...
With the winamp plugin you can process your library (fingerprinting/analysis) and create "magic mixes" that match a selected song.

It's hard for me to explain clearly the basic functions of this software ... english is not my mother tongue. So let me know if something remains unclear.

I must say that the mixes produces by the winamp plugin are quite satisfactory. It's not perfect and it may need fine tuning but it's a very good alternative to Itunes' party shuffle. IHMO this "playlist for dummies" tool should be a core function of any audio library handler.  :P

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 01:32:46 pm »

Your english teacher did a bang up job if it's a second language. :)

I did dabble with musicIP (aka predixis musicmixer) some time back, thinking along the same lines as others here, wouldn't it be nice if MC could do this, but the program i think gave me probs after it analysed a few thousand files. I then dropped the idea and went with my own mixes. i guess it works better with some libraries than others. You have to be careful to feed it only seperate tracks and leave the mixed ones out. A plugin might be possible if the SDK is open, if any plugin wirters are interested.

There is another aveneue i pursued, discovery, if i like this artist what other ones are there that are similar or compliment it. music Strands gives some ideas to follow up on. LiveFM i hear is good for this but then ppl can have very broad tastes or the listening list only reflects what they have got currently, not always similar music.

A couple of other selller sites also offer recommendations like Dusty Groove or Soul Seduction , offer a little more than Amazon's, customers also bought these types of recommendations.

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 10:49:30 pm »

If you are interested in seeing how this works, there is a free version of the software.  It will create its own database of your music, and analyse/fingerprint each file. 

There is also an HTML API, which allows you to send a song or set of songs and get a playlist back.  You need to enable the API in the MusicIP options, then point your browser to http://localhost:10002/api (on the same machine).  MusicIP needs to be running at the same time for this to work, and you have to have the songs analyzed before you try this.  But I've tried adding a single song into the mentioned page, and I've also sent my own "page" with a playlist.  I have MC set up to play m3u, and if I select that type of return, the playlist will start right up in MC.

I believe what you get by buying the SDK is the ability to analyze the songs and create the playlists without having to use MusicIP itself (and needing it to be running).  This would also allow for a single database rather than two (MC's and MusicIP's).  BTW, I first heard of MusicIP recently in a blog about SqueezeBox.  Squeezebox apparently uses the web API to create mixes from MusicIP using the Squeezebox/remote.

If you aren't sure what it does or how it works, I recommend giving it a try - the basic version is free.  As an engineer, I appreciate how hard it is to define a set of song "metrics" that can be used to find similar songs.  Try it, it works and is very cool.

BTW, I do have some songs in MP3 that I have re-ripped to flac - it identifies those as duplicates, even if the names are different.

[edit] I forgot to add the web API link:  http://www.musicip.com/mixer/httpprotocol.jsp
[/edit]

Brett

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 03:53:31 am »

Check out this article about AMG: http://www.stereophile.com/news/022607amg/

AMG has a technology called Lasso that doesn't just use track durations and sequencing to identify tracks. It uses acoustical analysis of digital recordings to identify unique acoustic fingerprints. I don't have the data at my fingertips, but I think AMG has a baseline of something like six million fingerprints

JONCAT

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 07:03:43 pm »

I tried the MusicIP mix function.

It mixed Anita O'day with Captain Beefheart. ?

It needs a little work....

DC

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 09:23:34 pm »

It mixed Anita O'day with Captain Beefheart. ?

Cool!!! :)

j (listening to Ice Cream for Crow)

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 04:25:55 am »

I know this is an old thread, but has there been any progress with integrating muscip functionality?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 06:53:45 am »

No progress.  None likely at this time.

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 11:04:05 am »

No progress.  None likely at this time.