INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A great search idea?  (Read 5122 times)

pwurp

• Recent member
A great search idea?
« on: August 28, 2007, 01:34:49 pm »

Another search below the search, with before it little buttons for boolean operators.
AND: search within search (say only albums by coltrane togethre with miles)
OR: combines the results of 2 individual searches (albums by metallica and erik satie)
NOT: excludes the results of the second search from the first (only the nonsurf versions of misirlou)

Can it be done? Do you like the idea?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: A great search idea?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 01:43:34 pm »

For advanced stuff, we think using the smartlist editor is the way to go.

You'll notice that the newest builds make the smartlist editor available right from the search box.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

_PM_

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 01:08:54 am »

And what about some "preset" like that ? I usually want to search just in ther artist field and this way I would speed up the search. (and I don't want to type [artist]=)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 01:35:20 am »

(and I don't want to type [artist]=)

how about ar= ? maybe just me, but I find that much quicker than anything else.

It's been so long I can't remember if it's the default or not, but al= should work for [album] searches, and if not, is very simple to make it so.
g= will work for [genre] searches.
n= may work for [name] searches, and again, if not is easy to make it so.
year= will work for [date (year)] searches.

You can set keywords for library fields by pressing ctrl+O, select library and folders in the left pane, then find the field in either the standard or user lists, click on it, choose edit, set the keyword you wish and OK your way out. This is a great way to speed up typing in the search bar.

-marko.

pwurp

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 12:14:39 pm »

That's a great tip Marko. That'll speed everything up so much. I didn't know that, thanks!

Thanks for replying, Matt. I like the smartlists a lot, but for changing things on the fly , they're so slow on my machine (laptop XP 512MB 1.6 pent M, not the most uptodate fast system around but still), the loading of the edit menu and adding or deleting rules are very slow. I like changing things around, adding and changing rules instantly. Would it for example be possible to change rules from the notes, if that could be set to be the rules instead of just displaying them, that would be handy. Also I can't switch to the next track that's playing or change the volume while editing a smartlist. Also seeing the selection change as I "apply' rules (I know they change instantly, but I've to close the edit window to be able to see them). These could be solved by a 'docking' button on the edit menu, so it could be stuck to the right side of the screen (or something). The moving up and down of rules would be practical for adding and/or/not operators and the selectboxes could be more practical to scroll through, maybe subdivisions, or the allowing of "typesearch" (don't know what its proper name is) but so it doesn't switch to the 'b' then 'l'... when you type 'blues' for example, but switches from the first 'b' to the first 'bl' to the first 'blu'...

melkiades

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 01:15:33 pm »

Hi guys,

I'm astounded that JR hasn't realized that the = operator is not sufficient.
Using = to find multiple filenames, all containing "grandaddy", or example, will lead you to a big failure.

This should be fixed ASAP:

- add more operators than only =
- make it so that the Smartly Wizard lets you specify the operator when adding new rules.  Right now (in version 12, don't know about the others) adding new rules implies that you are using the AND operator, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Cheers,
Alain

gappie

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 02:00:54 pm »

Hi guys,

I'm astounded that JR hasn't realized that the = operator is not sufficient.
Using = to find multiple filenames, all containing "grandaddy", or example, will lead you to a big failure.

This should be fixed ASAP:

- add more operators than only =
- make it so that the Smartly Wizard lets you specify the operator when adding new rules.  Right now (in version 12, don't know about the others) adding new rules implies that you are using the AND operator, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Cheers,
Alain
the development of 12 stopped a while ago. asking to get it 'fixed ASAP' in version 12 is a bit .. well.. stange.. especially since most, if not all, things you ask where possible in 12. when you just ask what you want, somebody could be helping you.

:)
gab

melkiades

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 02:29:25 pm »

Hehehehe, sorry about that but when I said "fixed asap" I meant in version 14, because I posted elsewhere and found no answer to my question, thus assuming that this feature I'm describing is still not available.

My question was clear and was also asked in another thread (just today) so I'm hoping to find answers if it's possible to do in version 12 or 13 or 14.
Pages: [1]   Go Up