INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ultimate MEDIA playback setup  (Read 935 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
The Ultimate MEDIA playback setup
« on: August 30, 2007, 06:40:42 pm »

Please provide a list of the perfect Media Center install base.  I understand Media Center is at the top of the list but more information is important here.  The key is to support as many media files as possible.  MPEG1/2/4, MP3, FLAC, DIVX, XVID, H.264, MOV, WMV, etc.

The interesting thing is that I intentionally only allow Media Center to import FLAC, JPG, and DVD folders...that's it.  We have a small collection of video clips, mp3s, and RAW images but I like keeping everything nearly perfect with this small collection of files that I can very easily manage and keep clean.  Every FLAC CD is hand cleaned up and imported--same for DVDs--and I don't really care too much about our digital camera JPGs but I still clean them up, deleting a very small percentage (the worst of the worst).

But nevertheless, on a typical computer, it's vital to have a support for the most files.  One of my biggest questions is about Divx and Mov files.  I read that some users don't actually use the Divx installer or the Apple installer but a different package.  I know about the Quicktime Alternative and Real Alternative but am not sure if those are important or not.

READ THIS
It would be great if everyone who wants to participate would provide a list of media-related installs that they add to a FRESHLY formatted computer.  Assume the computer has basically nothing more than Windows Media Player.  Also, please describe any settings changes.  For example, I currently use Cyberlink DVD decoder and I always change the audio to the noisy setting so the audio more closely matches other audio levels.  Any good software that doesn't include junk system tray stuff is always appreciated....just a nice list of everything start to finish...go ahead and include the FLAC plugins for completeness even though those are an obvious necessity.

Lastly, I like VLC and Firefox but I often experience problems when trying to preview songs on Amazon and other sites.  There usually is some kind of buffering problem that requires the entire clip to download -- and then there is often a long delay before the song preview even starts playing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up