INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ID3v2 2.3 with unicode?  (Read 3030 times)

bugmenot

• Recent member
ID3v2 2.3 with unicode?
« on: September 05, 2007, 11:36:50 am »

Hi,

Currently when adding metadata into a file such as rating the id3 tag is rewritten with ID3v2 2.3. All my files were ripped & tagged with ID3v2 2.3 unicode. I loose the unicode format everytime I use MC to edit metadata.

Any work around or any news about implementing an option in general tab under importing & tagging to use unicode (UTF-16) in version 2.3 or even implementing version 2.4 with unicode (UTF-8) ?

Thx

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: ID3v2 2.3 with unicode?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 12:06:27 pm »

ID3v2 tags will be saved with Unicode anytime a character that needs it (>127) is encountered.

If a tag doesn't require Unicode, MC will save using ANSI. 

This approach helps tag size and compatibility.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bugmenot

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 04:50:57 pm »

And what about implementation of 2.4 UTF-8 ?

I also have a bug on ID3v2, since I use TagScanner to edit tags, it saves in 2.3 unicode or 2.3 AINSI. But I have the probleme with both. The probleme is that the popularimeter tag & picture tag mix up. If I resave it, ID3v2 tag corrupts & information deletes. I both use TagScanner & MC for years and have the probleme only if I try to put cover art into the tag. Here's the step to reproduce.

• 1. In MC rate the MP3 more than 1 star (Be sure it save in the tag in options).
  • 2. Edit tag of an MP3 with TagScanner & save a picture in it. Save
  • 3. In MC Auto-Import to get external change (First bug the rating goes to 1 star in MC).
  • 4. In MC reset the rating to more than 1 star.  (Second bug the picture inside tag goes away)
  • 5. In TagScanner you can see that pictures gone but file size didn't change. (probably still inside but unreadable).
  • 6. In TagScanner do not edit tag and just save it. (Third bug all the tag disappear).

Since the picture is dhowing correctly in MC after save & every other data written by TagScanner is correct I would say the it'S MC the problem. but since the popularimeter is not implemented in TagScanner, it'S maybe the fact that if it'S their TagScanner screw up things & if not everything works. Both program are closed source so just letting you know to verify. I've send an e-mail to the author of TagScanner.

I'm also wondering if MC will support array of pictures (front cover, back cover,...) array of genres, artists,... As much as I know multi info in MC is kept as single string separated by comma.

Please stop using comment frame to keep intensity when analysing. Would be great to be able to deselect that functionality when analysing. You could instead use Private frames or something less commonly used.

Keep up good work!

bugmenot

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 07:57:05 pm »

bump! no news about the bug

jimn

• World Citizen
  • You are getting sleepy...very sleepy...
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 12:11:06 pm »

I did some testing and found some of the behavior you described, but with some differences. In any case I can look into the problem.

One difference is that I couldn't get the picture added in TagScanner to appear in MC at all. I also couldn't get the other tags to disappear (third bug).

Interestingly, I only got the rating to misread, and the picture to disappear in TagScanner when I turn on the auto-import. If the auto-import (for the directory in question) is off and you just use get library from tags or import file, neither of these happen (though MC still doesn't find the picture).

I will investigate further.

Thanks,
JimN

bugmenot

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 04:09:41 pm »

To be able to see the artwork in MC the MP3 must be without rating. Then you save the file with artwork with TS and auto-import in MC. You should then see the artwork. If the file had a rating before, picture won't load. Don't know if it's your case, but it's mine.

jimn

• World Citizen
  • You are getting sleepy...very sleepy...
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 11:56:17 am »

To be able to see the artwork in MC the MP3 must be without rating. Then you save the file with artwork with TS and auto-import in MC. You should then see the artwork. If the file had a rating before, picture won't load. Don't know if it's your case, but it's mine.

Yes. I can reproduce that.  However, it's more general; I changed Album in MC and got the same result, so I'm assuming any change to the tags in MC will cause TagScanner to load a picture in such a way that MC can't read it. Why this is so, I don't know yet.

I have been investigating the interaction of ratings/popularimeter between MC, TagScanner, and MP3Tag. I don't think this tag is specifically related to the picture problem (as per above). There is no problem with setting this tag between MC and MP3tag. But when the tag is written out from TagScanner, it's not only a problem for MC, it puts in garbage characters when MP3Tag reads it. I'm making the tentative assumption that TagScanner is writing out the popularimeter tag in an incorrect id3 field type.

I don't yet know where the problem lies with the picture tag. I haven't found any problem with the interaction between MC and MP3Tag; which seems to suggest that MC is writing out the ID3 tags correctly (but it could also mean that MP3Tag is simply more robust in reading in irregular id3 tags). I will look into it a little more to see if I can pin down the problem more concretely.

JimN

UPDATE: Is seems the picture tag problem IS related to the popularmeter tag issue; when MC tries to read the incorrectly formed popularmeter tag (from TagScanner) it makes it appear that it's the end of the data tags, so the picture tag doesn't get loaded. This issue still appears to be TagScanner writing out an improperly formed tag.

bugmenot

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 05:09:27 pm »

OK, not gonna use TagScanner till fixed then.

Any plan to fix the read issue in MC on malformed id3 tag since it can occur with other tag/utility ?¿?

UPDATE : The problem of TagScanner has been fixed in version 5.0 build 515b. Resolved !
Pages: [1]   Go Up