INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still wanting 'smart' iPod play lists  (Read 1909 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Still wanting 'smart' iPod play lists
« on: September 06, 2007, 10:52:36 pm »

Any new hope of getting the ability to load 'smart' lists to the iPod from MC?  Note that I am NOT talking about syncing a MC Smartlist to the iPod, I want the smartlist to stay smart while on the iPod.  The ONE feature that makes me want to use iTunes is the ability to add 'smart' playlists on the device.

Couch

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Music. Sweet Music.
Re: Still wanting 'smart' iPod play lists
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 10:10:26 pm »

What kind of smart lists are you looking for?

I've found great luck with a base list I sync my iPod to and then generating smartlists based on that - then when I sync - the smartlists update and are always applicable to the selection on the iPod.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 12:20:55 am »

What kind of smart lists are you looking for?

I've found great luck with a base list I sync my iPod to and then generating smartlists based on that - then when I sync - the smartlists update and are always applicable to the selection on the iPod.

The kind of smartlist doesn't matter.   The key is that you DON'T have to sync in order for the smartlist to update! ;)
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 02:53:45 am »

I'm currently under the impression that the only field that you can change from the iPod is the "rating" field -- is this correct?  If so, am I correct in assuming that the purpose of this feature would be to have a list on the iPod change depending on how you change the "rating" field on the iPod?  I'm interested to hear ideas on how this feature would be used.

Thanks,

Larry

craft

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 05:14:14 am »

null

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 07:15:41 am »

Here is a good example of how this feature could be used.

Smartlist that contains all Unheard Podcasts.  As you listen to them on your ipod the list shrinks.  Very handy for going back to your podcast playlist after listening to some music.

One issue that MC has with doing this is the fact that the MC smartlists are worlds more powerful than iTunes.  In order for them to do this they would have to have a dumbed down smartlist designed just for the iPod.  A good way they could handle it is with the smartlist UI have a checkbox for iPod compatible and when that is checked the smartlist options are dumbed down.

While I think smartlists on the ipod would be nice, I have noticed that even Apple has a hard time keeping them working properly.  Currently any smartlist that uses podcasts int he rules does not work on the iPod which makes my above example not work.  Note this use to work on my old 4G ipod but with the current version of iTunes it is broken.  So I would rather see MC work on other feature before this one.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 01:05:55 pm »

Uses:

Unrated songs.  It is nice to rate them while on the road and then have them drop off the playlist once the rating is assigned.
Podcasts.  I have several Podcast play lists (based on content/subject) and want the tracks to drop off once I have listened to them. 
Ratings based playlists:  If I change the rating of a song I want the playlists based on ratings to also change.
'Mix' type play lists can be created using a dynamic play list based on other dynamic play lists.  This gives you the ability to have 'mix' play lists that change without having to re-sync to your MC machine.

then when I sync - the smartlists update and are always applicable to the selection on the iPod.

The key there is 'when I sync'.  For those of us that travel and spend a lot of time away from our MC library (for work/personal/vacation), having a bunch of static play lists on the portable device becomes a PITA to deal with.

Pages: [1]   Go Up