INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can MC sync mp3 files to iPod that are bookmarkable (like iTunes "Get Info")?  (Read 2030 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

It's just come to my attention that regular mp3 files can be made "bookmarkable" on an iPod when using iTunes to sync.  Apparently, you go to "Get Info" in iTunes and check "Remember Playback Position" (you can also check "Skip when shuffling.")  Does MC have any such capability?  I've always been frustrated that mp3 audiobooks don't allow bookmarking, and converting hundreds of files to m4a and renaming them to m4b (which would automatically bookmark on the iPod) would just require way to much time.

Note that I'm referring to a 5th gen iPod at this time, but I'll have the same question for 6th gen "Classic" iPods if MC starts supporting them.  I've always had the impression that MC had all the functionality that iTunes had when it comes to syncing, so I'm suddenly wondering if I'm just missing something.

Thanks,

Larry

olarte

• World Citizen

With the Ipod video, simply changing the genre to Podcast will do this.

With the new Ipod Classic you'll need to either convert the files to M4b with Bonkenc or use Itunes and mark the files to save the position,

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

With the Ipod video, simply changing the genre to Podcast will do this.

With the new Ipod Classic you'll need to either convert the files to M4b with Bonkenc or use Itunes and mark the files to save the position,

Does anyone know if there is some sort of equivalent way of doing this in MC?  I was thinking that some sort of "Analyze" option that I'm not aware of might be able to do this.  Can someone at JR confirm whether or not this is possible at the moment?  I'd really love to be able to make my mp3 audiobooks bookmarkable on the iPod (using MC to sync) without doing hundreds of file conversions to AAC.

Thanks,

Larry

olarte

• World Citizen

Does anyone know if there is some sort of equivalent way of doing this in MC?  I was thinking that some sort of "Analyze" option that I'm not aware of might be able to do this.  Can someone at JR confirm whether or not this is possible at the moment?  I'd really love to be able to make my mp3 audiobooks bookmarkable on the iPod (using MC to sync) without doing hundreds of file conversions to AAC.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry you cannot do the "get Info, save position" option as in Itunes. However, as I mentioned earlier, if you have an Ipod Video, just change the Genre for your audiobook mp3 files to Podcast, and they will show under the Podcast Genre and save the bookmark automatically in the Ipod.

As for the classic, MC does not support them yet so Itunes is the only way to go...  :-\

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

Larry you cannot do the "get Info, save position" option as in Itunes. However, as I mentioned earlier, if you have an Ipod Video, just change the Genre for your audiobook mp3 files to Podcast, and they will show under the Podcast Genre and save the bookmark automatically in the Ipod.

One problem with this is that the iPod's lyrics page does not display the lyrics field on the iPod for files tagged with the genre "Podcast."  Instead, Podcasts on the iPod display the title and running time on the lyrics page (which is of course useless since it's redundant information.)  This is not the case with audiobooks -- i.e. if I tag the exact same files as audiobooks, the iPod's lyrics page once again displays the lyrics field, which I actually use quite a bit for some of my audiobooks.  This, however, prevents bookmarking for working at the moment.  In other words, I currently have to choose between either bookmarking or being able to see the lyrics when I sync with MC.  If MC could support bookmarking for mp3 files when synced (like the "Get Info" option in itunes offers when syncing) it would solve this issue.

To the JR team:  Is this a possible addition somewhere down the road?  I never even realized that this "Get Info" capability existed in iTunes until now, so I was wondering if this was something you guys knew about.

Thanks,

Larry

SwellGuy

The ability to use bookmarking on any file was added in build 12.0.370 via a new library field 'Use Bookmarking'. The default setting for this field is "Default" which will enable bookmarking on audiobooks, videos, and podcasts. Changing this value to Yes or No will override the use of bookmarking for any type of file. This bookmarking behavior will apply to use within the MC player itself as well as to playback of the files when transferred to an iPod.

olarte

• World Citizen

The ability to use bookmarking on any file was added in build 12.0.370 via a new library field 'Use Bookmarking'. The default setting for this field is "Default" which will enable bookmarking on audiobooks, videos, and podcasts. Changing this value to Yes or No will override the use of bookmarking for any type of file. This bookmarking behavior will apply to use within the MC player itself as well as to playback of the files when transferred to an iPod.

12.0.370? that's not released yet correct? isn't the latest build 12.0.365?

I do see a field names boomark is that the field you are referring to?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

12.0.370? that's not released yet correct? isn't the latest build 12.0.365?

I do see a field names boomark is that the field you are referring to?

370 is currently a beta build not released to the general public.  The "Bookmark" field is where the "Use Bookmarking" field stores the bookmark information -- i.e. the "Bookmark" field is generally not designed to be manipulated by the user.  It's the "Use Bookmarking" field that the user actually changes.

In my tests so far, this is really an excellent feature.  It allows easy user-configuration of the field when needed (just add this field to the AW or to a column in the main window), but even better is the fact that the "Default" setting (which is default setting) makes bookmarking automatic on files with a Media Sub Type of either "Audiobook," "Podcast," or "Video."

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up