INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipod classic album art problem  (Read 5660 times)

RiderFan

ipod classic album art problem
« on: September 18, 2007, 07:08:06 pm »

Ok, I finally got my 80 gig ipod classic working with MC in XP (no joy with Vista).

There is a coverflow problem however.

The ipod is supposed to scroll the cover art on the ipods main menu on the right side.

When I sync using itunes, this works properly. When I sync using MC, this function does not work properly. The album art does not show up on the main menu screen. MC will put the album art in the ipod, and I can see it when scrolling through albums in coverflow, but it will not show up on the right side on the main menu.

Is this a known bug? Is there a fix?

edbro

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: ipod classic album art problem
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 07:27:48 pm »

Yes, I have the same thing. Actually, "Coverflow" works. That is the ability to scroll through the album covers in the Coverflow menu. But, in the main menu I do not get the self flowing art that I got when I used iTunes. All I get now is a generic music icons and a generic video icon.

RiderFan

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 07:31:16 pm »

Yes, I have the same thing. Actually, "Coverflow" works. That is the ability to scroll through the album covers in the Coverflow menu. But, in the main menu I do not get the self flowing art that I got when I used iTunes. All I get now is a generic music icons and a generic video icon.
Yes, this is exactly what I mean, you just said it much better.

I am glad to see that it's not just me. I really like this feature, and I hope it will be supported soon.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 09:02:00 pm »

I actually liked that the main menu doesn't show the cover art in the background :).

Osho

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 09:55:44 pm »

My album covers for cds I added via MC were all messed up, displaying the wrong one.

I had to re-initialize the Ipod first with MC... that fixed the problem but as mentioned it no longer shows the albums on the right on the main menu. but coverflow works.

I then re-initialized with Itunes to see if that would fix it... nope covers on right of menu are still broken. But at least now, adding new cds do display the right cover.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 11:00:44 pm »

? The album covers seem to act inconsistent when Using MC. I tried re-initializing both from itunes and MC, and regardless some covers seem to show the wrong album covers on the Ipod.

I redid the art on a few cds then when I re-added them to the ipod, other covers got messed up.

I don't mind not having the covers on the right on the menus. but the covers themselves need to be correct for each album... this  is the 4th time I've stared from scratch (with a small sample) and the inconsistency seems to be there.

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 08:20:18 pm »

I am seeing similar issues with Cover Art.  Both some not appearing.  Also getting the split screen artwork not showing too, however that bothers me much less than not getting cover art loaded and instead getting the MC logo.

i started this thread
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=42595.0

However if an admin wants to merge it with this one since they are similar issues.

hottuna

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 06:28:13 am »

I've spent a week moving songs using iTunes because MC12 support wasn't available. Along the way I cleaned up a lot of my cover art so I could use Coverflow and I really don't want to mess that up. 

I also changed the way I tag my compilation albums by adding artist to the end of the song Name tag between these symbols as shown here: song Name <Artist> - this allows me to assign all the compilation albums to the Artist "Various Artists" so they show up as a single album in Coverflow, and afer I select an album in Coverflow both the Name and the <Artist> appear in the song list for that album. 

So thanks to all you beta testers out there, please let us more "risk averse" users know when you think covert art synchronization is working properly with iPod. Until then MC can play with my PC, but my iPod is off limits, only iTunes will sync with it.

P.S. I do like how iTunes allows you to paste an album cover into the cover art preview pane in the lower left of the screen.  << I found the answer to this question here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=39151.msg266283#msg266283 .  I wish I knew how to insert the topic name instead of the URL, this came from topic Feature Request: Copy cover art from image

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 07:48:43 am »

Wanted to provide some interesting data regarding album art not showing on the right hand side of the split screen.

After I synced with MC, the split screen artwork did not appear.  Then I connected my ipod to my laptop(Mac) to transfer files to it and of course iTunes popped up.  I did NOT setup my ipod in itunes and have it set to manually sync so it did not sync any music (no music on that machine to sync).  However it did do something because after that the album art started appearing on the split screen.

Course I am more concerned about the ~30% of my albumart that is not getting put onto the ipod, not so much about split screen stuff.

Also I noticed when I was using iTunes to sync my iPod when I would connect it to the laptop the laptop would see that it is already sync'd to another computer and NOT attempt to do anything but tell me if I wanted to use this ipod with this computer I would need to wipe it.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 09:27:13 am »

I've spent a week moving songs using iTunes because MC12 support wasn't available. Along the way I cleaned up a lot of my cover art so I could use Coverflow and I really don't want to mess that up. 

I also changed the way I tag my compilation albums by adding artist to the end of the song Name tag between these symbols as shown here: song Name <Artist> - this allows me to assign all the compilation albums to the Artist "Various Artists" so they show up as a single album in Coverflow, and afer I select an album in Coverflow both the Name and the <Artist> appear in the song list for that album. 

So thanks to all you beta testers out there, please let us more "risk averse" users know when you think covert art synchronization is working properly with iPod. Until then MC can play with my PC, but my iPod is off limits, only iTunes will sync with it.

P.S. I do like how iTunes allows you to paste an album cover into the cover art preview pane in the lower left of the screen. 

I'm glad this is working for you, and I know what you mean about the Album Cover problem.

One other suggestion, I used a Track Name and Artist Name (user created fields that get stored in the tags) to keep the original name and artist information. Then I change the name to be name - artist as you too are doing.

Last of all, I change the artist to be a generic\common name like compilation soundtracks etc ONLY on the Ipod so MC still has the original name intact, and still sees these as compilations which they are.

On another note, if I want to "hide" an artist that really only has one album and I ready don't want to show up under Artist... In MC I add a period at the end of the arist name for the first track which now makes it a mix album=1 or compilation.  Then in Itunes, I follow my usual procedure, of marking as compilation, and changing the artist ON the IPOD only to what I want to show up in coverflow.

Hope this helps

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 11:16:54 am »

There are some fixes coming for this in the next build (330).

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 11:50:09 am »

I hope this includes stability of the album covers being the correct ones, even after having to "touch" the ipod with Itunes?

keeping fingers crossed. ::)

hottuna

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 07:31:28 pm »

Good to hear JimH thanks - I've been a loyal follower (and promoter) since version 7 and have no doubt that you and the folks at JRiver will find a way to make my iPod as good on the road as MC12 is at home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up