INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mastiff's MediaSUV with MC audio on hw.no  (Read 10672 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Mastiff's MediaSUV with MC audio on hw.no
« on: October 18, 2007, 11:12:02 pm »

Here's the page that mentions MC: http://www.hardware.no/guider/hele_maskiner/mastiff_bygger_bil-pc_-_del_3/44250/3

For those of you who can't read Norwegian to safe your life, I use MC for anything audio. And while I so far use Zoom Player for video (this system was originally built last summer, before the new multizone video stuff), I do mention that MC has taken great strides within multi-zone video. Then it's fully NetRemoted, of course. On this page there's a video demonstration of the system, with English explanations: http://www.hardware.no/guider/hele_maskiner/mastiff_bygger_bil-pc_-_del_3/44250/7 Enjoy! :)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
Re: Mastiff's MediaSUV with MC audio on hw.no
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 01:36:37 am »

Pics is all i was interested in

some interesting video here  ?

http://video.gfx.no/2/2873/original.wmv

youtube it!

capall

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 05:14:48 pm »

Hi Mastiff, just came accros your post in my multi zone search, is you site down or change, I found this link in avs/hrmz
http://home.powertech.no/mastiff/multizone.htm

derek

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 01:33:47 am »

Hi! Sorry, yes. The site is down at the moment (the moment being the last year or so...). And unfortunately much of it is now outdated (I'm on a completely new system in the house now). When I find the time (maybe Easter) I will set it up again, but for now there's nothing to see here. :(

capall

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 06:15:20 pm »

Thanks,  if its not too much trouble, could you suggest any multizone options to use. I am building a htpc and trying to include 4-8 music zones. I understand JRiver supports multizone, but I can't seem to find any definitive soundcard suggestions, also looking into airport expresses. Came across Lynx AES16 but with the DAC its too expensive. Also foundM-Audio Delta 1010lt,

Thanks

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 02:31:36 am »

I answered this in a PM, but in case anybody else finds this thread and would like to know how I do it. I use a simple solution which is good enough for casual listening but probably not for expensive high-end systems: A bunch of Sound Blaster Live! and Audigy cards with the kX drivers. The kX drivers let you have three separate outputs from one card, so three cards in my media server gives me 9 outputs. The Windows 7 drivers are in beta (and probably will be forever), but they are 100 % stable for this use, I have been running my newest i5 media server for two months now (24/7) without one single hickup. So that is what I would recommend.

The basic setup is that I have a bunch of used, cheap amps (most of them old home theater receivers, one per zone) in the attic, where the media server is. Short digital or analogue cables from the computer to the amps. And long speaker cables from the amps to the zones. Some are ceiling speakers, some are regular speakers with the speaker cable running down inside the drywall. It's not a hifi setup for very discerning listeners, it's a multi-zone system for a regular family. Since FM radio reception is getting worse and worse in my corner of the world I have two MC running on the server, one for web radio and one for multi-zone music. So each zone can choose either to listen to one of the radio channels I have programmed in or to music they select themselves with either NetRemote or Gizmo. The radio channels are on the IR remotes, using the standard radio channel buttons. But the amps are always on the input from the computer. I use Next Generation IR remote extender, which is a battery with a built in IR to RF converter/sender. Then I don't have to point the remote at a particular spot. I also have a LED diode in each zone showing if the amp is on or not.

In Windows 7 you can name the outputs after what zone they go to, so it's easy to keep track of them. I don't use the synchronize within Media Center, because I have several overlapping zones, and it's difficult to get them 100 % in sync. Even a few ms will be audible. So I have one zone designated as a master zone which then sends to all the amps for "party mode".

capall

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 07:40:14 pm »

Thanks Mastiff
I've also come across people using Matrix switchers. I know the use of this is leading down a slippery slope to home automation, but I was wondering what the decisons might be to choose a matrix switch, for audio(and possibly video) vs the JRiver/sound card method for zones. It seem a 4x8, 4x16  might be an easier solution especially with respect to video ditribution and audio syncing. But I suppose this will require a home automation software to control the matrix via pc or touchpanel with RS232

capall

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 01:28:16 am »

Sorry, but I have no idea at all. I have never researched anything like that because the price is prohibitive in Norway. Also they're hard to come by.
Pages: [1]   Go Up