INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get to Edit Disc Information screen?  (Read 5323 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
How to get to Edit Disc Information screen?
« on: November 17, 2007, 05:00:58 pm »

When ripping a CD that is not in YADB, there's a wonderful MC screen that makes it easy to type in all the track and artist info. However, it only appears some of the time. Is there a way to open it directly whenever desired?

Scenario: Put in a CD to rip. MC queries YADB for track info, but doesn't find any (common in my situation, because I have lots of obscure CDs). At this point, even though my steps are the same every time, what MC does next varies, though I don't know why.

Some of the time, MC opens the rip screen in the mode I need. It lists the CD's raw, unnamed tracks, and at the top shows buttons to Play, Rip, and Edit Disc Information. Perfect. I click on Edit, type in all the tracks and artists, then click Rip.

But more often than not, MC instead simply tells me track information wasn't found in YADB, then asks, do I want to rip anyway? Selecting yes starts a rip but without any track naming option -- not what I want, because renaming the tracks later is much clumsier and slower. Selecting no/cancel bails of out the Rip screen and displays a Play button. Nowhere to be found is the desired mode, Edit Disc Information. I usually resort to lots of clicking around, closing and reopening rip dialogs, and eventually Edit Disk Information appears.

Of course the perfect solution would be for MC to always behave the same way after a YADB lookup fails. But a strong second best would be to provide direct access to Edit Disc Information mode via consistent buttons and/or a menu option.

Or maybe it's already there and I'm just not seeing it???

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

gappie

Re: How to get to Edit Disc Information screen?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 05:09:57 pm »

when you have the tracks of the cd, above it are three buttons, Play, Rip tracks and edit disk information. the last one does the trick

gab

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 10:11:15 pm »

when you have the tracks of the cd, above it are three buttons, Play, Rip tracks and edit disk information. the last one does the trick

gab

He said that didn't work for him reliably. You could try Drives & Devices in the tree and click on the drive.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 10:19:00 pm »

Put the CD in the drive. If the YADB lookup fails and for whatever reason it doesn't offer you the option to Edit the disc info, then cancel out of the rip, and go the Drives & Devices node in the tree. Click on your drive and you'll get a list in the content pane with all the tracks listed. Above that list are the Play, Rip Tracks, and Edit Disc Information buttons. I think that's the same thing that gappie was talking about, just with step-by-steps to get there.

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 10:09:26 am »

Thank you for the advice. I hadn't considered Drives & Devices as a place to look for an editing option.

While this is a way to find the missing button, it seems like the Rip options could be more consistently displayed when ripping. For instance, MC could always offer the option to Edit Disk Information, even if YADB succeeds, since it fairly often pulls up wrong track data. Sometimes it works as desired. For instance, I just put in a CD to rip, MC found YADB data, AND showed me the Edit Disk Info button. In fact, it has done this for the past 8 CDs, AND waited for me to click the Rip button. And sometimes it gives me the button when YADB fails.

What's puzzling is the times when it all behaves differently, and I don't see any reason. Sometimes,whether YADB lookup fails or succeeds, I don't see the Edit button, and worse (in my situation) sometimes MC starts ripping without giving me a chance to add the track info.

In my MC, "Enable Auto-Rip Mode" is NOT checked. Yet most of the time, when I put in a CD, without clicking ANYTHING, MC looks it up in YADB, and if found, MC immediately starts ripping. Nice for some, but I prefer to review the tracks list, then start ripping manually. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but what?

Suggestion: Also provide Edit Disc Information as a menu option, perhaps under Library Tools or Rip Disc -- and/or as a right-click option when a disc is detected. I'd like to see every MC capability in the menu system, even when also available elsewhere at times, because the main menu system should be the one place to find an action or mode no matter what else is going on. If a menu option is not applicable or useable at a given point, disable it but not hide it, so at least the user knows where to find it at the correct time.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

MusicHawk

Re: How to get to Edit Disc Information screen? MC behaves oddly at times....
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 05:24:43 pm »

Another example of how MC sometimes doesn't seem to handle a CD rip properly. I inserted a CD that isn't in YADB. MC then told me "No tag information available. Do you still want to rip this CD?" The choices were Yes/No. I've clicked No before, and MC switches to Play mode.

This time I clicked Yes, and MC immediately started ripping the CD -- even though my MC is set to NOT do "automatic ripping". I guess Yes means "yes I want to tip this CD" but a more helpful option would be "enter track information". I guess the way to do that is to select No to avoid ripping. Then go find the CD in the left nav tree and click on it to display the Edit Disc Information button. Seems non-intuitive, especially since MC only behaves this way once in a while; see my earlier posts for other behavior examples.

I just don't get why the behavior varies or how to correct it.

dcwebman

Re: How to get to Edit Disc Information screen? MC behaves oddly at times....
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 03:46:10 pm »

Another example of how MC sometimes doesn't seem to handle a CD rip properly. I inserted a CD that isn't in YADB. MC then told me "No tag information available. Do you still want to rip this CD?" The choices were Yes/No. I've clicked No before, and MC switches to Play mode.
This has bothered me in the past too. I know I want to rip it but I want to see the details screen and correct anything before the rip actually takes place. The way it works now is I have to cancel the rip, correct, go delete anything that might have been ripped, and then re-rip. This is one of those times when it's good to actually click a button twice in order to actually have the process take place.
Jeff

rclancy

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:32:08 pm »

Similar scenario. Disc info not found online. One and only opportunity to name tracks and files using the Disc Information dialog accidentally bypassed. CD ripped. Problem - how to rename the disc and tracks.

If you go to the Drives & Devices, recently ripped, and rename the disc artist/album and tracks, it doesn't rename the files. It creates new empty directories and doesn't move the files either.

Easiest way would be somehow to start over again and this time, don't bypass the one and only chance you get to use the disc info dialog. Trouble is, the library somehow remembers history and there doesn't seem to be any way of starting afresh. An hour wasted and still no solution apart from manually renaming files and moving them.

It seems obvious to allow cancelling of rip, remove the library references and rip a new CD using the disc info dialog (which is fantastic if it appears). No way to remove library references that I can see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up