INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: downsampling for portable  (Read 1082 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
downsampling for portable
« on: November 24, 2007, 02:21:02 pm »

I couldn't imagine this not asked before, but I couldn't find it ... please excuse my ignorance  ::)

As I ponder purchasing a portable player (e.g., iPod), I wonder how others downsample their high-quality music tracks (i.e., large files) to something smaller and more suitable?  For example, does MC12 sychronization to the portable include downsampling via a preferred option (OGG -- q 3)?

On a similar topic, is anyone familiar with a portable player that supports OGG? (... as well as works well with MC12?)

TIA & cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula  :)

EDIT:  Regarding downsampling, I found:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43580.msg297856#msg297856

... any suggestions regarding the most trouble-free player? (OGG, or otherwise ...)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

edbro

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: downsampling for portable
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 02:28:10 pm »

Yes, I keep my music is a lossless format (ape) and MC will convert it to mp3 when synching to the iPod.

As far as ogg goes, it is a great format but not widely accepted by hardware. I use to have a Rio Karma that would do flac and ogg. With the latest mp3 encoders, the quality can rival that of ogg and is certainly more widely accepted.

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: downsampling for portable
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 07:32:17 pm »

You can also take a look at Rockbox, http://www.rockbox.org/. It allows me to play basically any file format on my Sansa. It is available for other players as well. It's an open source firmware replacement for mp3 players. Not only will it play different formats, but it can extend the functionality of a player into almost PDA territory.

Even with lossless support on my Sansa, I still downsample from the lossless files on my PC to ogg for my player. I don't do any sort of critical listening so I don't notice any quality difference that matters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up