INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aquiring images into a year\month\day\ subfolder structure?  (Read 1519 times)

)p(

• Citizen of the Universe
Aquiring images into a year\month\day\ subfolder structure?
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:07:47 am »

Hi,

I have my images in a 3 tier sub folder structure year\month\day. I was looking into if I can use mc directly to acquire images from our cameras like that.

I tried using expressions like this:

Pictures\Archive\FormatDate([Date,0], Year)\FormatDate([Date,0], MM)\FormatDate([Date,0], Day)\

That did not work. I guess the Date field is not yet populated for the file when the expression is evaluated.

Is there any other way I could achieve this?

thanks,

Peter

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Aquiring images into a year\month\day\ subfolder structure?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 12:20:58 am »

Depending on your number of pictures, I'd like to comment on your folder structure (what I do).  I use the year followed by a single folder of "month-day Subject."  The reasoning for this is that it greatly reduces the folder count.  Plus, you don't end up with folders named "3" and "21."  The worst in my case is "2007" while the only other folder depth might be "12-25 Christmas Day At Home."  Another significant advantage to doing this is that a general amount of information is stored directly in the file/folder structure.  This helps provide an emergency level of backup protection if all else fails....at least you've got a semi searchable folder of pictures.

)p(

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 01:07:59 am »

Actually I put it wrong above mine is:
year\month\date, ie 2007\12\2007_12_17

I have many thousands images in there already and would like to keep it this way :)

Anyway do you acquire your images from the camera from mc with your 2 tier setup, and if so how?

This is just for convenience, to do it from mc. If its not possible I can just use my current utiliy and just point the auto-import folder to my image folder.

peter

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:27:39 am »

I guess the Date field is not yet populated for the file when the expression is evaluated.
100% correct

I import all my photos to an \Incoming\ folder then weed out the chaff, tag the rest, then use rename from properties to move them to their final resting place.

You can get MC to place the files into a folder using the current date by using the expression now()
If you use it just like that, you get the date as it is formatted by your system, or you can specify your own format. Mine looks like so:
D:\Pictures\incoming\formatdate(now(),yyyy-MM-dd)\
This way, the import batches are sorted nicely into folders according to the date they were acquired from the camera allowing me to stay pretty much on top of the image tagging tasks. My incoming folder is very rarely empty.

-marko.

)p(

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 02:51:18 am »

I import all my photos to an \Incoming\ folder then weed out the chaff, tag the rest, then use rename from properties to move them to their final resting place.

Actually I like that suggestion :) You always know which images still have to be tagged. I was having a bit of a problem with that during my first serious experiments with tagging over the weekend in mc.

peter

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 06:56:10 am »

For moving files, take a look at MC's Tools/Library Tools/Rename Files from Properties.  Try a small number before you do very many.
Pages: [1]   Go Up