INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What tags get written?  (Read 988 times)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
What tags get written?
« on: December 02, 2007, 04:58:42 am »

My question is this, when a user tag is flagged 'save in file tags' and the field data changes is it just this tag which gets written into the file or is the entire tag set for the file written? 

The reason I ask is that I have two PCs running MC (mine and my girlfriends) using the same music files and I have created some user specific tags where we can store our ratings, eg MyRatings and HerRatings, without overwriting each others.  There are a bunch of other user specific tags too.  But I noticed that some of the tags in my library changed without my intervention and am wondering if what happened was that my girlfriend, who upon original creation of her library imported all my data, made a change to one of her specific fields and rather than just that field being written to the file, the entire tag set for the file, including my original (and now outdated) tags also get written back to the file, which then overwrote my newer data when it was picked up on auto-import???

Cheers,

Mark

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: What tags get written?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 12:19:32 pm »

I think it depends on the file type.  Some container formats allow you to change individual tags, some don't (and you have to re-write the whole header block), and some even require you to re-write the whole file.  I don't know which is which, but I suspect MP3s are not among the "good, smart" ones...

However... For your particular problem, do you have MC's auto-importer set to "Update  for External Changes"? (Options --> Library & Folders --> Auto-Import Folders --> Options)  Unchecking that option should make MC's library take "priority" over anything it finds in the file tags.  I always keep that unchecked.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
Re: What tags get written?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 05:38:16 am »

I am using FLAC

As reported previously in another thread, even with Update for External Changes unchecked, I am still getting tags imported.  However that wouldn't solve the problem of two users writing their entire tag set to the file and flip flopping data between their libraries.

For now, I have disabled my girlfriend's setup from writing tags to files.  That should at least protect my library data from corruption.  She will have to rely on the backup files if anything goes wrong! 

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up