INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to show "work" by Composer?  (Read 1082 times)

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
How to show "work" by Composer?
« on: December 08, 2007, 11:55:08 am »

I made a custom field that I call "work" which contains  or is associated with several diferent files, each of which is a seperate movement or track  in a classical work. I want to be able to click on the "composers" in a split screen and see each work, but not multiple times (ie not one for each seperate file or track or movement)  In other words, I want to click on "Beethoven" and have all of his works come up, eg symphony no 5. But I do not want sym no 5 to come up four times, one for each movement. Is there a way to do this? Thanks.  Note if I simply brows the the "Work" field there is no duplication, but it is too much information. I want to go "composer" "work" "name [movement]"

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
  • But I don't wanna be the same as everybody else...
Re: How to show "work" by Composer?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 12:18:46 pm »

I do something like this as well. I call my field [Musical Piece] instead of [Work] but same idea; I also have [Movement] etc.

I just tried this and it worked for me.
It shows every listing where [Musical Piece] is not empty, then removes any entry where
[Musical Piece] is a duplicate, and shows just one entry per [Musical Piece]:

-[Musical Piece]=[] ~nodup=[Musical Piece]

Is that what you're looking for?

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 01:05:30 pm »

This may be too advanced for me. Can you tell me more specifically how you set this up? Also when you click on "musical Piece" does it show every movement?  Thanks.

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 01:28:06 pm »

In my collection I have, for instance:

ComposerNameMusical PieceMovement
BeethovenSymphony X - 01 - AllegroSymphony No. X in A major, Op. 231
BeethovenSymphony X - 02 - AdagioSymphony No. X in A major, Op. 232
BeethovenSymphony X - 03 - AllegrettoSymphony No. X in A major, Op. 233
BeethovenSymphony X - 04 - AllegroSymphony No. X in A major, Op. 234

There are LOTS of different ways to view your tracks/etc in MC - I'm pretty new to it too and am still learning. I'm trying to follow the lead of
glynor's advice in http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43574.0 but that's another topic.
To build a smartlist like what you want:
1. Go to playlists and click on "New Smartlist". You'll bring up the wizard.
2. In Rules, enter: 

[Musical Piece] (is not) (Empty)

3. In Modify Results, enter:

(Remove Duplicates of) [Musical Piece]

This will then give you a list of what you want - [Movements] ie 1,2,3.. will NOT be shown because they've been filtered out as duplicates since they all have the same [Musical Piece].
You will have to sort the columns the way you want. If you want to include Movements, that's actually easier as you can just do step 2 above, skip step 3 and just SORT everything the way you wish.

Try this and let me know if that's what you're looking for or if it's not clear, or if you want something different.

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 01:32:00 pm »

To correct what I said above, specifically,

"[Movements] ie 1,2,3.. will NOT be shown because they've been filtered out as duplicates"

They WILL be shown, but only one [Movement] will be shown for each [Musical Piece] and
its value will appear to be random.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 07:02:32 pm »

I'm not sure just what you want.  I'll describe how I set up MC 12 for browsing classical music.

> I want to go "composer" "work" "name [movement]"

I defined a view scheme for classical music.  (Add View Scheme.) In the Step 1 area, I added the following field: sub-genre, composer, work name, artist and version. (Be sure you click on "Filter in both directions" in the Step 3 area.)  In Step 4, I specified that the file list be sorted by composer, work name, artist and track number, so that the files will be in movement order.

In the upper part of the screen, I choose "Panes" so that each of the fields specified above appears as a list in a column.

When I choose a composer from its list, the work name list shows only works by that composer.  If I then choose a work, I see all  performances  of that work in the library (i.e. artists).  If a select one artist, the lower area shows all the music files that match the selected composer, work name and artist.  For a multi-movement work, there would normally be one file per movement.  If I select all the files shown, right click and choose play, they will all play.

Selecting Composer, then Work name and then Artist is my normal order but I can select in whatever order suits me.

Bill

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 01:17:08 am »

Thanks Bill and Problem Child. Your advice was very helpful.  I got it!

It would be nice if MC had this setup as an option for classical music.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up