INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Support for Multi-Artists  (Read 9474 times)

horse

• World Citizen
Re: Feature Request: Support for Multi-Artists
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2008, 11:39:36 pm »

Not sure this is a good idea or not, but thought I'd bump this thread back up as I've been struggling with some of these issues for a while and want to add a couple of other aspects.
First I'll define "What I would like to do"
1/ When using Song>Artist view scheme, find all tracks for a primary Artist(s)   
2/ When using the Album>Artist view I want to find the Primary Artist then the list of Albums
3/ When I search under Song>Artist I want to find all tracks for an artist even if they also feature on some other artists tracks
      I.e. If Artist A sings a duet with Artist B I want to find the song under Artist A and B
4/ When streaming music to either Tivo or via UPnP I want the Artist information to show all the artists featured on the track and not just the Primary Artist so I don't have to go back and figure out who else is singing/playing on a track.
5/ Keep all tracks for a specific album in the same directory. (not sure why, I just like it like this)
6/ When syncing to iPod I need it to stay reasonably well organized as I can't have the same view schemes :-(
7/ Need it to interface to the espresso machine based on Playing Now Genre or BPM of tracks. :-)
        To slow, increase the number of shots, too fast results in a decrease in shots

Based on these requirements I have the following currently configured (well the important highlights anyway)

Tagging is done on each track as follows: -
AlbumArtist = Primary artist who released the album. This is the only place "Various" is allowed for soundtrack and compilations

Artist = The Primary artist and “with” followed by others featured on the track
      I use "with" just for consistancy and to make it display in a readable for when streamed

This results in my Album>Artist view scheme to key from the AlbumArtist field, for the Song>Artist I key from the Artist field.  (I’ll leave the Genre view schemes out but are basically using the same fields)

This meets my requirements for 1,2,4 and 5 and I can find music how I want to find and play it.
Using this configuration I was happy except for being able to acheive item 3 and until the iPod was introduced into the home/car and requirement 6 came along
When syncing to the iPod the Artist field is mapped to the ID3 tags and I end up with my iPod in a bit of a mess.
    1/Any album containing tracks with varying artists, including albums with a single track that contains a featured artist with the primary artist, are all under "Various"
    2/ The Artist list contains all the various combinations of Artist A on there own, Artist A with Artist B, Artist A with Artist C etc.
    3/ Albums with the same name have under some views have been merged together and placed under Various

If I switch my use of the Artist Field to be the primary artist and AlbumArtist to be the artist(s) on the track I fix the iPod but loose my artist(s) when streaming.
Being able to map the AlbumArtist in MC to ID3 Artist when syncing to iPod would be another option to help improve the handling for requirement 6.
        see post http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45443.0

Requirement 3 is a nice to have and should a method be developed please consider how it is supported when streaming to Tivo and UPnP so Artist(s) are shown

If anyone has some thoughts or can explain the error in my configuration madness to improve the iPod handling and not lose other functionality I would appreciate any guidance.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up