INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Play HD-DVD/Blu-ray (EVO/M2TS) files in MC12 using DirectShow filters  (Read 50044 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

For those interested you can play back content ripped from HD-DVD and Blu-ray within MC12 using DirectShow filters just like other formats (eg MPG).  The purpose of this post is on how to play these files in MC12 not how to get them onto your HDD.  The content on these disks are protected and you will need to find the required ripper to get unencrypted access to the EVO and M2TS files but a quick Google will point you towards the required tools which may or may not be legal in your jurisdiction - this is up to you.  As each disk will have multiple EVO and M2TS files you will need to work out the correct order and then join these together using either "copy /b" or tools like EVOdemux or TSremux, again I won't go into how to use these but www.doom9.org has plenty of posts on these tools.

There are two file types that will be added to MC12 shortly, EVO and M2TS that contain the Video and Audio streams.  A good thread on how to play these files is at AVS http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=892527 but basically in addition to the usual filters you are going to need:
- Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder 4.3.0
- Haali Matroska Splitter 1.7.189.11

EVO: Enhanced VOB is a container format typically found on HD-DVD Disks that holds the Video (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, VC-1, or MPEG-2), audio (AC-3, E-AC-3, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, PCM, and MPEG-2) subtitle, etc.  Typically they contain Multiple VC-1 Video Streams, and DD+ Audio Streams.  Playing the DD+ stream is the challenging bit and as far as I know the only audio filter to be able to render DD+ and output it as DD or Analogue is the Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder 4.3.0.  Here is a shot of the filters used:

Filter Graph Info for EVO file with VC-1 and DD+:
    'Default DirectSound Device'
    'Video Mixing Renderer 9'
    'Sonic Cinemaster® Audio Decoder 4.3.0'
    'WMVideo Decoder DMO'
    'Haali Media Splitter'

M2TS: This is the container format typically found on Blu-ray Disks and AVCHD based camcorders (similar to the M2T file type we already have in MC12) - the TS stands for Transport Stream but I've no idea that the M2 stands for.  These can hold similar streams as with EVO but typically contain MPEG-2 or VC-1 for Video and thankfully at least one DD Audio stream as well as higher bitrate audio codecs (or PCM).  Your standard filters should play these without any problem.  Here is a shot of some of the filters I've used:

Filter Graph Info for M2TS file with VC-1 and DD:
    'ffdshow Audio Decoder' (could be just about any DD5.1 decoder)
    'Nero Video Decoder' (could also be the 'MS WMVideo Decoder DMO' - not too many decode VC-1)
    'Nero Splitter' (could be any number of splitters)
    'File Source (Async)'

Filter Graph Info for M2TS file with MPEG and DD:
    'ffdshow Audio Decoder' (could be just about any DD5.1 decoder)
    'nVidia Video Decoder' (could be just about any MPG decoder that likes TS)
    'Nero Splitter' (could be any number of splitters)
    'File Source (Async)'

All the best - you’re going to need a grunty PC to decode the HD Video (especially the VC-1 etc) and here is hoping we shortly see more Directshow filter support for the higher quality Audio available on these disks!
Nathan

JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

jmone,
Thanks very much for taking time to document this.  I've added a link to this at the bottom of our FAQ.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Is there any way to use this configuration to play directly from the disc?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Is there any way to use this configuration to play directly from the disc?

If you use a prog like AnyDVD HD you get unencrypted access to the disk and hence can play individual content as if it was on your HDD so the above filters would work for playing an individual EVO or M2TS file.  If you want to play the actual Blu-ray or HD-DVD disk with navigation etc I know of no way (yet) for just using the DirectShow filters, you currently need either:
- PowerDVD Ultra
- Nero Showtime (+ Plug in pack)
- Arcsoft (soon to be released in English)
- InterVideo WinDVD Platinum
- Others??

Looks like most use PowerDVD Ultra and while there are plenty of complaints I've found it OK and use this method to make Blu-ray / HD-DVD disks to "appear" to play from MC12's Theaterview till you guys work out something better!  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43879.0

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

stefann63

How can I play m2ts files AVCHD container (Canon HG10 camera files) in MC12.
Updated to MC 12.0.404 and there is no m2ts file type in Video Playback Options.
I can play those files without problems in Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.3 and it will be nice to have them organized in MC12 with thumbnails and tag's.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

How can I play m2ts files AVCHD container (Canon HG10 camera files) in MC12.
Updated to MC 12.0.404 and there is no m2ts file type in Video Playback Options.
I can play those files without problems in Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.3 and it will be nice to have them organized in MC12 with thumbnails and tag's.

V405 onwards will support the m2ts file extension (you will still need to select the correct codecs).  If you can not wait then rename one of the to just m2t and have a play as this extension is already part of MC12.
JRiver CEO Elect

StarBand Guy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I might be a porcupine.

Finally! Some help!

I'm going to try some of these suggestions right now for my panasonic avchd files right now.

Thanks.

hollasch

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile

I'm using 12.0.473 and no .m2ts support is evident.  .m2ts does not appear under file associations or under the DirectShow video settings.

1) If I change the extension to .m2t the files show up as associated with MC but it still can't play them. 

2) If change the extension to .mpg MC can see and play the files.

This seems like a trivial issue. Any suggestions? 

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Mmmm - I'm not sure why you can not see the M2TS file type as this was added in V12.0.405 (1/04/2008) and I can see it on my install. 

M2TS/M2T/MPEG/VOB etc are all "containers" that can hold the various format Video and Audio streams.  If you can play your M2TS files by renaming them MPEG, note down the filters being used (right click on the video as it is playing) and you should be able to add these as your prefered filters for M2TS (or M2T) under the DirectShow area in MC12 (once you work out why you can not see M2TS as a file type).  FYI - there is a great FAQ on on filters in the Wiki if you have not yet read it.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

hollasch

• Recent member

Thanks for the help.  Something is hosed.

I uninstalled and re-installed MC12 and before I reloaded my library, .MT2S was indeed in the Directshow menu. 

Then I restored my library and its gone!

Also, my Directshow Playback Options appears to be really screwed up.  When I select a file type and hit "Select Filters" all hell breaks loose.

First, an Open dialog box appears looking for "Subtitle Formats (.srt.sub), MicroDVD (.srt) or subscrip (.sub) files.  I cancel that box, it reappears, I cancel again. 

Right after that, CPU hits 90-100%.

Then if I hit Select Filters again, the filter selection window appears and seems to work, but CPU is still pegged and stays that way no matter what I do.  Have to kill MC.

Ugh.  Suggestions?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I don't know the prob, but I would suggest that you start a new thread for the problem (you will get more hits!)
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

If I don't have the Sonic filter, will the video fail to play, or should it play without sound?
I ripped my Wolf Creek HD-DVD with AnyDVD but MC won't play the 13 GB EVO file. Nothing happens. I have a bunch of CyberLink HD-DVD/BD filters selected, as well as CoreAVC and AC3filter too; I figured that I might be able to select a DD/DTS soundtrack once the video had started, but no go.

Any ideas? If I absolutely need Sonic, I'll have to think about getting it, or just waiting for someone else to produce a compatible filter. Thanks in advance for any insights.

Temeryx

• Recent member

If are you going to rip your HD-DVDs and Blu-rays to your hard drive, instead of trying to deal with EVO and m2ts files I would recommend checking out eac3to on Doom9 forums.  It takes a little more time but you can rip out the main movie (combine the evo files) the audio track you want (plus convert that to a standard ac3 format if need be) subtitles and the chapters, and put all that back in a mkv file.  Personally I think though it takes a little more time then just ripping the movie it makes HD video much easier to play in MC or any other video player as well, at least until there is more support for the Blu-ray format. 

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Thanks for the suggestion temeryx. I did download an early version of eac3to, but that was before I really knew what it would do. Time to get a newer build and play with it... perhaps this weekend.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

If I don't have the Sonic filter, will the video fail to play, or should it play without sound?
I ripped my Wolf Creek HD-DVD with AnyDVD but MC won't play the 13 GB EVO file. Nothing happens. I have a bunch of CyberLink HD-DVD/BD filters selected, as well as CoreAVC and AC3filter too; I figured that I might be able to select a DD/DTS soundtrack once the video had started, but no go.

Any ideas? If I absolutely need Sonic, I'll have to think about getting it, or just waiting for someone else to produce a compatible filter. Thanks in advance for any insights.

Like all DirectShow filters, you need to firstly get the correct splitter going then fitlers that can decode the contained Audio / Video.  Not to many splittlers like EVO as a container (try the latest Haali) then the next prob is very few filters currently decode some of the High Def audio but once you have the video running you should be able to select your Audio Track.  As Temeryx suggests many convert their audio track to std DD but I want to keep my HD Audio (if sounds alot better). 
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Like all DirectShow filters, you need to firstly get the correct splitter going then fitlers that can decode the contained Audio / Video.  Not to many splittlers like EVO as a container (try the latest Haali) then the next prob is very few filters currently decode some of the High Def audio but once you have the video running you should be able to select your Audio Track.  As Temeryx suggests many convert their audio track to std DD but I want to keep my HD Audio (if sounds alot better). 

Thanks jmone. I forgot to mention that I am using the latest Haali, or at least it was the latest about 2 weeks ago. I'll delve further into it.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Thanks jmone. I forgot to mention that I am using the latest Haali, or at least it was the latest about 2 weeks ago. I'll delve further into it.

Have a look at the first post in this AVS Thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=892527 it was written for MPC but works with any DirectShow player like MC12 for playing native EVO/M2TS files from HD-DVD / Blu-ray.
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Have a look at the first post in this AVS Thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=892527 it was written for MPC but works with any DirectShow player like MC12 for playing native EVO/M2TS files from HD-DVD / Blu-ray.

Thanks! I was reading that thread when it first came out. It seems a lot of progress has been made, and the guide is more flexible in what can be used since the earlier versions. I'll play with some more stuff on Saturday. Thanks for the help.

dorian

Blue-Ray teac doesn't want to read some disk. What is problem?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Please take a look at MC16:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=64446.0

It has nice support for Blu-ray now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up