INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So what's your Airfoil experience been like?  (Read 8317 times)

Shiraz

• Recent member
So what's your Airfoil experience been like?
« on: January 11, 2008, 03:26:49 pm »

I've been using Airfoil with MC12 for about six months now.

1. The 5-second delay I can handle.... but...

2. sometimes I get a lot of drops, to the point of being unlistenable.

3. my local computer and the Airfoil stream are *always* out by about 200ms, enough to sound bad -- even when re-syncing (and using the latest version of Airfoil). It does get out of sync worse than that, but when I resync, it goes back to what Airfoil thinks is right, and that's the stream being about 200ms behind the local computer.

I know that #1 is common. But I'm wondering if others are experiencing #2 and #3. #2 in particular is a near deal-breaker.

Thanks,

Shiraz

ps. has anyone tried both Airfoil/Airport Express and the Linksys WMB54G? Which would you recommend?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: So what's your Airfoil experience been like?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 12:39:46 am »

#1 is not common for me, it is about a 3 second delay max.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 08:52:40 am »

I had lots of drops before some of the newer updates. I haven't tested it in a bit but I'll hook hook all my zones and test today.

Prior to ditching my wife's old Dell, Airfoil didn't perform real well with light mutli-tasking, with her new laptop performance is much inproved.

DC

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:56:52 am »

So does airfoil actually install as a virtual sound card that you can then assign as a zone in MC?

I'd been looking for something like this for a while, though to be honest I'd rather have something that could just output as a plain audio (e.g. MP3) stream so I could pick it up on DAPs round the house...

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 11:24:29 am »

Airfoil can't handle zones; it hijacks MC but can't distinguish different zones. It works with two instance of MC but that can get iffy trying to keep track of which is which.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 01:28:06 pm »

I've noticed that my sync issues are much better if I close MC and Airfoil, then launch Airfoil first--letting it take care of launching MC.

Even in that case, the local (computer) and the networked (airport) get out of sync after some stopping and starting of playlists.

My biggest problem with Airfoil is that it crashes when MC plays a multi-channel audio file (AC3 or DTS/WAV).

I haven't had time to investigate for the developers....

brad

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 09:58:12 am »

Works well for me - but i don't play on the local computer as well (as it's under the stairs).

But it broadcasts what MC is playing out to a PC, a Mac Mini and an Airport Express really well - all in sync.

Using xpTunes to remote-control via a PDA or iPod Touch etc just sweetens the whole experience....

Shiraz

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 05:08:14 pm »

Just wanted to update this to say that the latest Airfoil for Windows versions work beautifully. Synchronization issues are just about 100% resolved and dropped connections are very rare.
Pages: [1]   Go Up