INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: blank dialog when converting wma to wma  (Read 1622 times)

steiny93

blank dialog when converting wma to wma
« on: January 30, 2008, 08:15:16 am »

When I attempt to convert a lossless wma to lossey wma within Media Jukebox.
I pick the file, then Tools->Advanced Tools->Convert Format I hit 'Start' it thinks for a bit (< 3 seconds) then an empty dialog appears.  I press the 'OK' button on the dialog (only choice) it goes away and 'No conversion needed'

But when I go and look for the file it isn't there.

If I do the same conversion to mp3 it appears to work as exspected.
And it also works correctly on a different machine.

Any thoughts?

DarkPenguin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: blank dialog when converting wma to wma
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 09:37:32 am »

What is different about the machines?

Also, is this the current version of MC12?

steiny93

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 04:49:45 pm »

Both are running the latest version (just downloaded it yesterday to both).
The working machine is on vista ultimate, the non working machine is runing xp pro.

The only thing I could think of was that the wma encoder may be different.  But I was under the impression that MJ installs its own sdk.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 05:12:46 pm »

I can't reproduce this on XP SP2.

'No conversion needed'

Is this a displayed message? I have never seen it. MJ doesn't hesitate if you want to convert to the same format. For example, it is possible to convert from WMA Lossless to WMA Lossless. If you are converting to the same folder it adds a sequence number to the filename.

The only thing I could think of was that the wma encoder may be different.  But I was under the impression that MJ installs its own sdk.

MJ uses the OS level Windows Media codecs, but it downloads and installs a current MS Windows Media distribution package if the installed version is too old.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

steiny93

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:21:29 am »

I figured it out, totally my bad.
Within the Converter options there is a checkbox for the following: 'Skip conversions of same type'

I had that checked which caused it to not convert wma lossless to wma lossy even when I checked a different destination location.

So I have a follow on question.
I have my entire library in wma lossless.
I want to maintain a second copy of the entire library in wma lossy, I also want album art and all tags included within the lossy copy.

Getting the first cut of this was easy.  (Copy the entire lossless set and convert to lossy)
But now as I have new albums trickle into the library how are people handling this?  I would prefer not to have to reconvert the entire lossless library, rather i would only want todo the deltas.

How are others handling this, guessing there is a pretty easy solution.
Thoughts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up