INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPnP and Linn Klimax DS  (Read 9038 times)

PNCD

• Recent member
UPnP and Linn Klimax DS
« on: February 21, 2008, 12:55:31 pm »

I am using MC12 with 60,000 FLAC CD and HiRes files on a NAS, using a dedicated touch-screen PC with a USB - Off-ramp Turbo - EMM DAC chain.

I have had no luck getting the USB link to work without tics and pops.  Nor do I like having the computer controller close to the audio system.

I am intrigued by the ability to use the new Linn UPnP DACs with MC12.  Does anyone have any experience with playing from MC12 and directing to one of these Linn DACs?  Does anyone have misgivings that it would work and work well?

Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: UPnP and Linn Klimax DS
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 02:00:55 pm »

Welcome to Interact.

I don't know that device.  UPnP devices are all a little different.  MC has some options for them that you can set so you might be able to get it to work.  If you're willing to help debug, we may be able to get it working.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 02:02:41 pm »

The website states it is UPnP AV 2.0 compliant, which is not DLNA, this means there's a really good chance it will either work out of the box or we can get it working.

j

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:57:20 pm »

A Linn user: PNCD, you are now my hero.

Another worthless comment bought to you by Confishy.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 08:06:04 am »

Linn is not only great stuff (user here myself) but also open standard and UPnP compliant. You surely WILL get it to work with MC12 :-)

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:29:42 am »

Linn is not only great stuff (user here myself) but also open standard and UPnP compliant. You surely WILL get it to work with MC12 :-)
Think of me when you upgrade  ;D

PNCD

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 01:07:51 pm »

Hhmm, I am a most unworthy 'hero'.
Content: Infrant Repertoire NAS with 65,000 FLAC ripped by dbPoweramp plus HiRes FLAC downloads
System: dedicated touchscreen PC running MC12, USB out to Off-Ramp Turbo 2, AES/XLR to EMM DCC2 SE
Sound: sucks
Problem: USB interface is not working without tics & pops.  Have tried Foobar, MediaMonkey, AlbumPlayer w and w/o ASIO4All.  Awful.
Problem 2: I do not like having the computer gear chined next to the audio gear

Solution: drop direct USB and go to UPnP.  Cheapo media-bridge things do not look good for audiophile use (no staging of data so jitter straight through from stream to S/PDIF).  Enter Linn and their DS series - high quality, dedicated audio solution, data is buffered and sent straight to DAC with v. low jitter.  A few issues: $20,000 for the Klimax version, no digital in (only Ethernet) no digital out (must use DAC), worst control software ever seen, company is difficult times and may not be around.  Ouch.

Solution 2: Try a new Wavelength Asynch USB/DAC for $8,000 but remain tethered to USB, no guarantee it solves problems (darn computers!), dedicated DAC.

Plan: Try the UpNP solution with an EVA700 using S/PDIF out.  See if that works with my set up: NAS-MC12-UPnP receiver/renderer.  Then evaluate Linn once I know the rest works.  Then count to 10 before buying.

Action: Next weekend for media-bridge test based on belief MC12 supports UPnP and the Forum supports JRiver dummies, like me.

Dead hero?  Thanks for the support.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 11:10:09 am »

I stumbled across this old thread and wanted to let you know that we probably fixed the problem you had with a USB DAC.  MC14 (maybe also MC13) has a setting that cures the ticking sound.  See the wiki (link above) and the article called "DAC Settings".

We're also working on better compatibility with Linn DS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up