INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading Library from MC 11 to MC 12  (Read 911 times)

chris44238

Upgrading Library from MC 11 to MC 12
« on: February 26, 2008, 08:29:15 pm »

Hi,

I am currently an MC 11 user and have a library built from over 400 CDs. I'm looking at the upgrade to MC 12 but I don't see any mention of whether my library will be converted in the upgrade. I did find in one of the forum topics that the MC 11 library is not compatible with the MC 12 library.

So, does the upgrade of MC 11 to MC 12 also convert the library to the new format?

I hope it will since I definitely don't want to have to reenter all that information again.

Thanks
Chris

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Upgrading Library from MC 11 to MC 12
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:21:25 pm »

MC12 can import an MC11.1 directory and convert it.  Install MC12 to a different directory.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 01:08:56 am »

MC12 can convert an MC11 library without problems. It is not possible the other way around. MC11.1 cannot read an MC12 library.

The easiest way to convert an MC11 library is to create a library backup file in MC11 and restore it in MC12 (File> Library > Back Up / Restore Library). All file data, user fields, view schemes in the tree and playlists will be preserved.

The "Customize Current View" options (sorting and column configuration) will be resetted to default because of the internal changes, but these are relatively easy to regonfigure.

The program options (Tools > Options) are not included in a library backup file and you need the set these separately. You may want to check what you have set in MC11's Options and make some notes.

If you have more than one library create a separate backup file for each library. In MC12 create first the needed additional libraries and restore the backup files individually.

You can keep the latest MC11.1 build installed (MC12 may not work correctly with older MC11.1 and MC11 versions) and evaluate MC12 while still maintaining your old library with MC11.1. (The last MC11.1 build, 11.1.201, is available here: ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/old/MC111201.exe.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

schwaa

• Junior Woodchuck
  • and then...
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 02:55:31 pm »

How about Cover Art?

Over the last year I have been storing cover art within mp3 files, but I still have 2,000 cover art files in C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\Data\Cover Art.  They all seem to be with a file naming convention of Artist - Album.jpg.  Albums with multiple artists (e.g. Sound Tracks) have multiple instances of album art files. 

I want to be sure to not lose the connection from within the database for the song files to the cover art.  Is this possible?  I would also like to move the directory to a different drive.

I would also like to have this cover be imbedded within the song files, where possible, thereby getting rid of the need to store cover art externally from the music files.  Is this possible within 12?

This issue is really the only thing keeping me from upgrading to 12 from 11...

Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 04:05:31 pm »

I don't think embedding the cover art files would be too difficult.

You can do it with MC11 or MC12, it really doesn't matter, but I'd recommend doing it with MC11 so that if you want keep using MC11 too or revert back if preferred.

Here's how:

1. Create a library backup file and back up also the cover art folder.

2. Install MC11.1.201, if you have not already done it. I really cannot guarantie that older MC11.x  builds would work exactly as I describe. In addition, only the two or three last MC11.1 builds can be installed simultaneusly with MC12.

3. In Options > File location check that the cover art location is set to "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\Data\Cover Art\ and enable the "Store images in tags also" cover art option if not already enabled.

4. Make a search with this string:
[Image File]=C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\Data\Cover Art\
Create a playlist of the found files.

5. Select all files in this new playlist and do:
a) Right-click > Image > Remove Cover Art, answer no to the "delete from disk" question.
b) Right-click > Image > Quick Find In The File / Cover Art folder.

MC should automatically find most of the image files and embed them to file tags. You can use the [Image File]=[] search for finding the playlist files that didn't get cover art because of tag differences and fix them manually.

Finally create a new backup file (with a different name) and restore this file in MC12.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up