INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Export embedded cover art to external .jpg files?  (Read 2171 times)

ghadlock

• Recent member
Export embedded cover art to external .jpg files?
« on: February 27, 2008, 01:15:23 pm »

I'm a new user to J River, and I'm using it to support Cinemar MediaLobby which requries that mp3s have external cover art in a single directory to show the images through the home automation system. 

I have a large mp3 collection, and about 50% of the mp3s had embedded cover art in the tags, and 50% had no associated cover art at all. The 50% with images were hand-tagged by album so the images were certainly accurate.  As part of the process of importing the collection into J River, I selected the "external cover art" and "download image if missing" options, so most of the albums that did not have cover art now have cover art embedded and in the external directory. 

My problem / question is that the albums that had images prior to the import process do NOT have images in the external directory.  Is there some way to identify the albums that don't have external cover art images, and export them from the embedded tags, or even export ALL embedded images to the external directory? 

I've read a lot of posts on cover art and haven't found out exactly how to do this and I know that I can "download all" cover art images but I'd rather not since I not most of the existing images to be accurate.  Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide!

ghadlock

• Recent member
Re: Export embedded cover art to external .jpg files?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:21:09 am »

Anyone have a suggestion for this?  If the functionality is not available in J River, has anyone tried mp3tag to export the embedded images?  Thank you!

urlybird

• Junior Woodchuck
  • .^.^.^......... ..^.^.^..
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 10:24:33 am »

With JRiver you can do it by:
a) set coverart option to store in folder as Folder.jpg or Artist-Album.jpg
b) select album
c) Cover Art | Copy to clipboard 
c) Cover Art | Paste from clipboard

This leaves the coveart still embedded in the MP3 files and places one copy in the folder.
The problem is you have to to this one album at a time.

If someone has a better way - let me know.

urlybird

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 10:28:46 am »

Actually, the one time I had to do this, I used mp3tag--it was (oddly) a better tool for this particular job. I believe if you were to search the forums (including MC11), you may find a few procedures for accomplishing this within MC, but using mp3tag was braindead easy in my case....

Sorry I can't be of more concrete help.
brad

NoBS

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 09:16:50 am »

ghadlock, wish I could help you more.
As you might already know, right now you can see (sort) your music files in detail view/Image File.
This will tell you if the art is "Inside File", "Folder.jpg" and even "[Artist] - [Album].jpg"
This is pretty handy to find all files which don't have the external jpg's.

Edit, just re-read your Q, maybe you didn't know about the detail view and adding the "Image File" column for easy view/sort.
Can't help you on the enmass option, but with urlybird suggestion this could be an option.

Slight hi-jack (almost OT)...

It would be nice if we could get more detail out of the Image file, like dimensions and even embeded art size.
This would really help those who need to keep their art to a certain size due to some players that choke on large album art (older Sansa has a 32 or 28 KB size limit)
Most MC users are not as obssessive as me, but as a quick visual tool for imbeded album art would be very nice to have.

With problematic portible players, knowing which files are 300 x 300 or even 600 x 600 would make it so much easier to sort...

I can always wish in one hand and ...  ;D
What's an iPod?
Do apples have worms?
Rotten to the core.

ghadlock

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 10:25:58 am »

Thanks for the help everyone!  I did manage to do this with mp3tag, though it only handles about 40,000 mp3 files at a time, so I had to temporarily move all of my mp3s into separate directories to separate them into <40,000 batches, load the mp3s into mp3tag, export images from about 10,000 files at a time (mp3tag crashes if you select / export more than this in a single action) and then move the mp3s back into the main directory.  I should be all set now- thanks for the help!

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 01:00:04 pm »

I'm also a Cinemar user. Here is what I do

MC Cover art set as "folder.jpg"
On MP3 files make sure the artist album info is correct and run "Rename from file properties" which will move the MP3s into Artist/Album folders instead of a single root folder
Then run "Get Cover Art From Internet"

It's a few steps but works for downloaded music well. Cinemar has no problem using folder.jpg
Pages: [1]   Go Up