INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing to iPod drains battery  (Read 2885 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Syncing to iPod drains battery
« on: February 28, 2008, 06:44:59 pm »

I have noticed this for the last number of builds but thought maybe it was just something I was seeing wrong. Today my 5th Generation Video iPod's battery was 1/2 full. I plugged it in to sync and had it plugged in maybe a total of 4-5 minutes to delete some files and then sync 5 files to it. I ejected and suddenly the battery was showing red and almost empty. I am using the cable that came with the iPod.

Has anybody else seen this problem?
Jeff

castingflame

• Recent member
Re: Syncing to iPod drains battery
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 07:10:52 pm »

Not noticed it, but i'll watch closely over the next few days as I have alot of stuff to sync

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 01:40:06 pm »

Does it charge from usb when you're not syncing?

I have noticed this for the last number of builds but thought maybe it was just something I was seeing wrong. Today my 5th Generation Video iPod's battery was 1/2 full. I plugged it in to sync and had it plugged in maybe a total of 4-5 minutes to delete some files and then sync 5 files to it. I ejected and suddenly the battery was showing red and almost empty. I am using the cable that came with the iPod.

Has anybody else seen this problem?

dcwebman

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 07:51:42 am »

Does it charge from usb when you're not syncing?
I haven't really tried keeping it connected to just charge because I use an A/C adapter to charge it, but I can try that to verify.
Jeff

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:43:25 pm »

I believe, if there's not enough power coming through USB then it will drain the battery - I had similar situation with my Sony Reader..

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 07:51:24 am »

I tried charging with the USB cable over the weekend and sure enough it didn't charge. It was never this way before. I did a sync with MC with the iPod fully charged and after about 5 minutes of syncing, it was showing red when I disconnected. MC really sucks up that power for some reason.

Since I never had a problem before with the same cable/iPod/USB port, what could be the possible problem? Cable?
Jeff

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 08:49:47 am »

Hate to tell you, but I think your battery is dying.
My iPod Photo's battery died recently, and in its last weeks it refused to charge properly over USB.  Power cord worked fine, but USB didn't provide enough power for it to charge properly.  Was out of town at the time, and luckily a local battery shop carried replacements.

dcwebman

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 07:33:10 am »

Hmmm, I'm not sure it's the battery because it charges perfectly fine via A/C and holds its charge for days. I just remembered I have an extra cable so I'll give that a try. If it does die, I have my eye on a Nano that will fulfill my purposes. ;)
Jeff

rjm

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 11:03:26 am »

Confirming that I have read that when battery gets old, USB charging often stops working before AC adapter stops working.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 02:56:01 pm »

Like I mentioned - I had (have) a similar problem with my Sony PRS-505...
First, I figured that some USB cables don't have the power wires at all - just the data..
Second, I am not sure if this is true, but some people claim that there's Big Brother involved.
My Sony stopped usb-charging after I did a system upgrade (first Intel CPU in 12 years..) with XP reinstall.
It just stopped recharging and got drained. However, after I installed Sony's eBook software it started charging again.. This could be just a coincidence, though..

Hmmm, I'm not sure it's the battery because it charges perfectly fine via A/C and holds its charge for days. I just remembered I have an extra cable so I'll give that a try. If it does die, I have my eye on a Nano that will fulfill my purposes. ;)

dcwebman

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 05:12:12 pm »

Interesting. I changed iPod cables and no discharge occurred. I know sometimes Cat5 network cables go bad but I haven't heard of a bad USB cable yet.
Jeff

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 10:02:04 pm »

Interesting. I changed iPod cables and no discharge occurred. I know sometimes Cat5 network cables go bad but I haven't heard of a bad USB cable yet.

Jeff,

You could still make believe it's the battery and use that as an excuse to buy the new Nano. ;)

dcwebman

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 08:18:47 am »

Jeff,

You could still make believe it's the battery and use that as an excuse to but the new Nano. ;)
LOL Good one. But after surviving months of h**l last year, I only have to convince myself now.  ;D
Jeff

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 11:14:43 am »

Just happened to my Sony Reader again.. The battery was 3/4 full and I hooked it up to USB to charge. I went somewhere for a couple of hours and while I was away, my PC fell asleep (standby) - when I came back the Reader was almost completely drained. Once I turned the PC back on, the Reader got fully charged in about 20 min.
Pages: [1]   Go Up