INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Check that the file exists error message w/ Portable install  (Read 2019 times)

mattsnuts

• Junior Woodchuck
  • that'll do
Check that the file exists error message w/ Portable install
« on: March 09, 2008, 01:34:11 am »

Using latest 12.0.451 release.

Media Center encountered errors while tagging and moving files. Check that the files exist, are not read-only...

Tagging error: (Install Drive):\Music\$new\02 Sexyback.mp3

I'm using Media Center on a removable hard drive. I had all my music on my internal hard drive and installed MC to my removeable drive, and then moved all my files to that through MC (I think that's what I did) so that I wouldn't lose my playlists etc. Actually maybe I moved my files and made a copy of my library to the removable drive first, and then installed MC to the removable drive and opened the library on that. I can't remember, but it took me a few hours of stuffing around.

Result is that my entire library is on M:\Music\. And in MC the Filename on the files is is M:\Music. So today I imported some mp3s (File -> Library -> Import Folder), and now whenever I try change the tags on any of those recently imported files I get the above error message.

Note that the files I imported today all have the Filename listed in MC as (Install Drive):\Music, but the rest of the library is listed as M:\Music.

I've downloaded Unlock and it seems there's no locks on the files. Tried reinstalling MC too.

So basically I can't do anything with the 30 files I've imported today.

Edit: I've just plugged the drive into my work PC and I get the same error message.

-Matt

mattsnuts

• Junior Woodchuck
  • that'll do
Re: Check that the file exists error message
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 01:35:12 am »

Here's my System Info:
Media Center 12.0.451 Registered -- M:\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 1589 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 654 MB, Free - 261 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright ᄅ 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive R:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive R: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632C   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  UPnP Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  Write Playing (Active)

mattsnuts

• Junior Woodchuck
  • that'll do
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 05:55:21 pm »

I was able to replicate this just now, on a flash drive.

1. Install Media Center on my work PC. Register it.
2. Install MC to (blank) flash drive as a portable install. (E:\Media Center 12)
3. Copy Music to flash drive using Windows explorer (E:\Music)
4. Import Music into MC (File -> Import Folder, uncheck "Add this folder to auto-import list")

Now, in the Recently Imported playlist I can see the 150 files I've imported. Those that have Album Art the album art is shown as the icon for the file. Of those that don't have Album Art, there's either a blue music note icon or a gold music note icon next to each file. The gold ones are fine, I can retag them OK. But the files that have the blue icon, I can't retag. If I change the Artist or anything I get the above error message.

So that narrows it down - why do some files have the blue icon and others gold?

-Matt

mattsnuts

• Junior Woodchuck
  • that'll do
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 06:38:45 pm »

Still trying to nail this down...

Reinstalled MC on the flash drive (first install was 12.0.441, now 12.0.451), ran it, and instead of there being 150 files in the library there's 69 - all my gold iconned files aren't in the library. So I run import folder again on E:\Music, and it imports the 80 odd that were missing, and now they all have blue icons, and guess what - I can't retag any of them.

So now I can't retag anything on this flash drive.

Running Windows Server 2003 here at work.

-Matt

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 06:41:49 pm »

I Know when the file is not found MC will give This Error when tagging, or rename file from properties, And also when the file is damaged.

You may want to remove the "$" to see if that helps

there was\is an issue with Files that get corrupted on a Windows Server 2003 platform when using some microsoft software, and maybe others.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

mattsnuts

• Junior Woodchuck
  • that'll do
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 06:57:20 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion KingSparta.

Tried renamed my music folder to E:\Music\$new to E:\Music\new. Removed all files from MC library, reimported, but still no dice. Still get the error message when trying to retag.

I didn't realise this Portable Install feature was quite new, but reading the other threads here it is. So I'm figuring this is a problem with the Portable Install feature. Will see if I can change the title of this thread to reflect that.

Don't think this is a prob with Win2003 since I was having the same prob at home last night on WinXp home.

-Matt

mattsnuts

• Junior Woodchuck
  • that'll do
Re: Check that the file exists error message w/ Portable install
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 03:06:05 am »

I think I've solved it.

I used Library Tools -> Find & Replace, and replaced (Install Drive): with E: in the Filename.

Once that's done I can now retag the files. This fixed it on my flash drive, next I need to try it on my removable HDD which is currently at work.

Then I just need to make sure I mount the external hdd to the same drive letter every time I plug it in, which is not such a big deal.

-Matt

jlar310

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 10:58:56 am »

I'm having the same problem with 12.0.451.

I have used the portable install option on my work PC because MC is not happy with it's "Application Data" folder on a network drive. It's actually installed on my local C drive, but the portable option forces all the Application Data to the local disk as well. MC works better now except for the tagging issue. My music files are also on the C drive.

Your fix of replacing (Install Drive) with the actual drive letter might work for us, but in the end it will break the intended use of portability. A removable drive will not always have the same drive letter on different machines. In my case (and yours), it does not matter because the drive letter will not change. But the J River folks still need to address the tagging error issue. I had to disable auto-analyze in the meantime, because I do not want to click OK to the error dialog 5000 times.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 03:47:04 pm »

Should be fixed with the next public build.

Thanks for letting us know.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up