INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Used "Custom 1 2 3" tags in MJ 8 - how to transfer to MJ12  (Read 1452 times)

Sadashiv1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Used "Custom 1 2 3" tags in MJ 8 - how to transfer to MJ12
« on: April 01, 2008, 07:13:24 pm »

In MJ8 I have used tag fields "Custom 1" "Custom 2" and "Custom 3" for my .ape files.
MJ12 does not have any such tags.
I tried to create a field called Custom 3 in MJ12 and added .ape files in MJ12.
I was hoping that Custom 3 field would show. It did not. My question is,
how do I transfer those Custom tag fields to files when adding to MJ12.
(I have MJ8 on one computer and MJ12 on another).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Used "Custom 1 2 3" tags in MJ 8 - how to transfer to MJ12
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 02:05:37 pm »

Hmm... I just tried it and it worked for me. The APE tagging system has changed since MJ8, but MJ12 has a converter that creates automatically the Custom 1, Custom 2 and Custom 3 fields when the first old MJ8 tagged APE file is imported. All APE tags that MJ8 can write appeared correctly.

Did you actually try to add the corresponding columns to a details view or set the Tag editor in Action Window to show these tags?

In any case, if the media files are unchanged and in the same relative location I would recommend restoring an MJ8 library backup file. Then also the old playlists and library fields that are not stored in the file tags would be created automatically.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Sadashiv1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:17:47 pm »

It was my error. I was just dragging files into the Playing window. When I import, I do see custom tags brought over.

I did notice something which may not be an issue in general but is an issue with me.
I take my songs on a flash drive to play on a radio station. There I import songs into library and the remove them
when I am done. When library is cleared the column view besomes default. I have to customize my view
to show "Custom 1" and others every time I import files into the library. It would be nice if customized view is retained for
Audio as well as the Playing window. That brings another issue. View for Audio" window is not same as Playing window.
I have to customize both each time.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 11:51:31 am »

I did notice something which may not be an issue in general but is an issue with me.
I take my songs on a flash drive to play on a radio station. There I import songs into library and the remove them
when I am done. When library is cleared the column view besomes default. I have to customize my view
to show "Custom 1" and others every time I import files into the library. It would be nice if customized view is retained for
Audio as well as the Playing window. That brings another issue. View for Audio" window is not same as Playing window.
I have to customize both each time.

The view scheme configurations are part of the library. The "Clear Library" command resets them. Perhaps you could remove only the files instead of clearing the complete library.

In addition, you can always save (and load) view layouts independently from the active library:

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up