I'll want it soon
- 14 (23.7%)
I'll want it one day
- 22 (37.3%)
I'll never want it
- 4 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: Do you want MC12 to support Blu-ray?  (Read 3762 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
POLL: Do you want MC12 to support Blu-ray?
« on: April 08, 2008, 04:59:36 am »

There has been a bit of debate about how interested users are about including Blu-ray support from within MC12.  Personally, I had been holding off buying DVD's for the last couple of years and now already own more Blu-ray (and HD-DVD) disks than DVD's so I'm keen for MC12 to become HD!  FYI - You can even add a DVD / Blu-ray / HD-DVD combo drive to your PC for under $200 and most of my disk purchases have been under $15 thanks to various sales at Amazon and the like.  My local store is now renting them (and the on-line rental mob have hundreds they will rent me).

So now it is time to vote and discuss - when do you want MC12 to go High Def?
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Do you want MC12 to support Blu-ray?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 02:27:56 pm »

Yes, I'd love to have this. I got an LG combo HD-DVD/BluRay when it was $260. Now it can be had for $170, and it drops every week. I've also been busy buying up HD-DVDs as they go extinct and sale/previously owned BluRays from various places. Currently I have a button in Theater View to launch PowerDVD, but it would be very desirable to have everything play from within MC itself.

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »

Don't care much for optic medium any more. To lazy to change disks in the drive. HDD is almost free anyway. Make a 10 TB raid array and enjoy I say :)
All ripped HD sources can be played now right? Belive I have watched a couple of 720P blueray movies already, but I might have used vlc player when I think about it.
Something strange going on with my sound in MC.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 05:40:02 pm »

HiDef as soon as it can be reliably accomplished.

Having said that, I'm liking the number of 'fixed' items in recent release notes.

One other thing I'd like to see is direct support for USB-connect HD and XM/Sirius radio receivers as well as Clear-QAM and Cable-Card video devices.

Adding support for the Onyko NetTune protocols to the stack would be huge for me (I own a set of Onkyo TX-NR1000 receivers).

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 03:38:43 pm »

Don't care much for optic medium any more. To lazy to change disks in the drive. HD is almos free anyway. Make a 10 TB raid array and enjoy I say :)
All ripped HD sources can be played now right? Belive I have watched a couple of 720P blueray movies already, but I might have used vlc player when I think about it.
Something strange going on with my sound in MC.
I'm not sure what you mean by HD is almost free. Do you mean downloading ripped and compressed media from torrent sites, or do you mean some of the clearance priced HD-DVD sales to be found these days?
I'm with you on the optical medium. However, my interest in this is that I'd like MC to be able to play the files associated with HD-DVD/BluRay, so that I can rip them and have them on my media server/MC library. Sure you can download 720p/1080p mkvs. They're great, I'm know, but sometimes you've just got to have the full bitrate original. And as our HTPCs become capable of decoding the lossless audio formats, it'd be nice to have that ability in files contained within your MC library too.
Also, downloading of copyrighted material isn't legal or morally unobjectionable everywhere or for everyone.
When you say HD is almost free, you've got to figure in storage costs for your media server, fees charged by ISPs for exceeding bandwidth caps. Add to that P2P/torrent-throttling by many ISPs and a cheap, legitimate source of hi-def media is very appealing.
Almost all ripped media can be played these days, but it's nto always easy to configure to do so. I'd like MC to be able to play hiDef media, both from optical and hard disks using directshow filters.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 04:23:27 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by HD is almost free. Do you mean downloading ripped and compressed media from torrent sites, or do you mean some of the clearance priced HD-DVD sales to be found these days?
I'm with you on the optical medium. However, my interest in this is that I'd like MC to be able to play the files associated with HD-DVD/BluRay, so that I can rip them and have them on my media server/MC library. Sure you can download 720p/1080p mkvs. They're great, I'm know, but sometimes you've just got to have the full bitrate original. And as our HTPCs become capable of decoding the lossless audio formats, it'd be nice to have that ability in files contained within your MC library too.
Also, downloading of copyrighted material isn't legal or morally unobjectionable everywhere or for everyone.
When you say HD is almost free, you've got to figure in storage costs for your media server, fees charged by ISPs for exceeding bandwidth caps. Add to that P2P/torrent-throttling by many ISPs and a cheap, legitimate source of hi-def media is very appealing.
Almost all ripped media can be played these days, but it's nto always easy to configure to do so. I'd like MC to be able to play hiDef media, both from optical and hard disks using directshow filters.

When I say HD is almost free I'm thinking of the Hard Drive it self. A 750 GB disk is about a half days work for me now. The situation have changed alot the last 15 years! The same goes for most other electronics as well. I'm all with you on the full bitrate. I'd love to just copy the whole blueray to my hard drive. My plan is to get a 40 disk raid controller. So the space should not be a problem.
As for servers, I have alot of them. Mostly old ones I got from my school, but also heavy duty stuff for virtual test labs. Got those from work. Weeeehe! :) And the Internet is payed by my land lord. 20 Mbit. It's good enough for downloading most things. Just waiting for the Grid to be public available.

With the number of TV shows, movies, music tracks people watches and listens to today, you just can't justify the horrid price on the DVD and CD's. There's no way I could have still been eating if I where to pay for all the DVD's I watch and the music I listen to, and the games I play. When 95% of todays youth use pirated data, there is something wrong. Pricing and distribution have to change and DRM have to go.
I'm not justifying that I download stuff, I'm just saying. I DO buy some of the stuff though!

You are right regaring support of blueray... The masses need it. I don't (at least not for now). That's all I said.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: POLL: Do you want MC12 to support Blu-ray?
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 09:47:40 pm »

Silly me; I thought you meant HD as in high definition, not hard disk. :)

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 02:21:40 am »

My bad. I forgot another D in there :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 04:17:27 am »

What we are missing in MC12 is the ability to play the native Blu-ray / HD-DVD structure (from either disk or ISO).  I "could" extract the video/audio streams and mux them into a container and play them already right now in MC12.....but really......imagine saying to users sure we can play DVD's but first you have to rip into a MPEG file first!  I want to hire my Blu-ray disk, pop it into the drive and have MC12 play it.  Pretty simple.
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 07:06:40 am »

Yes, please, Blu-ray directly from Blu-ray drive and from HDD (in countries where this is legal). DVD Audio out of plain DVD Video/Audio records would be even more appreciated here.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 04:18:34 pm »

What we are missing in MC12 is the ability to play the native Blu-ray / HD-DVD structure (from either disk or ISO).  I "could" extract the video/audio streams and mux them into a container and play them already right now in MC12.....but really......imagine saying to users sure we can play DVD's but first you have to rip into a MPEG file first!  I want to hire my Blu-ray disk, pop it into the drive and have MC12 play it.  Pretty simple.
Nathan

Yes, I agree 100% with that request/sentiment.

johnp

• World Citizen
  • let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 04:40:48 pm »

HiDef as soon as it can be reliably accomplished.

Having said that, I'm liking the number of 'fixed' items in recent release notes.

One other thing I'd like to see is direct support for USB-connect HD and XM/Sirius radio receivers as well as Clear-QAM and Cable-Card video devices.

Adding support for the Onyko NetTune protocols to the stack would be huge for me (I own a set of Onkyo TX-NR1000 receivers).

I already have support for those in JRiver using their NetTune PC Software and some cool glue logic developed by one of the forum members here (Nila I think is his handle).  I'll e-mail it to you if you want it.  It involves a import export function on a scheduled basis which is kind of clunky, but it works.

jgreen

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 08:08:08 pm »

More important to me would be an integrated Betamax-to-HD-DVD converter--with backup to HI-8.

Doesn't anyone else watching the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD battle sense it's a case of one down and one to go?  I can't think of any future use for optical media that doesn't rhyme with "buggy whips".  Really, the lossy/lossless audio battle sets the paradigm: portability is paramount.  I don't think that data throughput speeds will catch up to Hi-Def as quickly as compression algorithms will make SD seem plenty good enough.  So file your Blu-Rays next to your Laser Disks.

Bottom line:  why do I have to waste an additional $200 on my next computer because a required Blu-Ray drive has replaced the DVD drive?  Because the MPAA said so?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 11:47:13 pm »

jg,  I think you are correct that the popularity of MP3's have shown that portability/access is seen as more important to many over quality, but it does not mean that MC12 should stop supporting the playback of lossless audio tracks or physical CD's, or that just because 1GB torrent MPEG 4 movies are popular that physical DVD's should not be supported.  So for me the argument is the same, sure MC12 can play the High Def content now (if extracted, downloaded etc) but unlike CD / DVD we don't currently have support to play directly from the source (those shinny disks).
JRiver CEO Elect

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 12:38:40 am »

I think that it's different with music than it is with movies. For the most part, music is something that's just playing in the background. It's rare that all you're doing is really listening to music. It's generally just something to listen to while you're doing some other activity. And since you aren't really paying that close attention to it, convienence is more important than quality.

Movies, on the other hand, generally ARE the activity, so quality is more important there, IMO.

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 10:01:49 am »

Not many at this time have Blu-Ray players in their PC.  Perhaps in another year when Blu-Ray PC devices come down in price.
HP M9200T Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz, 3gb, GF 8600 GT 512mb
Dell 3000 Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, 2gb
HP DV9700T Intel T9300 Duo 2 2.5gz, 3gb, GF 8600 GS 512mb

grandalf

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 12:11:30 am »

Definatly would like blueray support, even though its not standard yet, its a format we are all going to use sometime soon, and same as regular dvd`d we need blueray from either local or network option support. thx malcolm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up