INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nested Values in KEYWORD tag?  (Read 1041 times)

lydia42

Nested Values in KEYWORD tag?
« on: April 09, 2008, 03:16:04 pm »

J River Systems --

I am relatively new to your software, so I have hope that my issue has been solved by those with more experience.

The basic scenario is this:  I have 3 songs of the same combination of artist and title.  One instance is part of an album, the other two are part of a "list" - such as Billboard or Rolling Stone Top 500.

I would like to tag the album track with the list details, and delete the other 2 copies of the song.  I have already used KEYWORD to create List groupings - and this works well.  My problem is that I  do not see how to easily retain ranking within the List (Billboard 1985 song #17, or RS Top 500 song #142, etc.)

Can you suggest an approach / technique that complies with the following:

• List membership is denoted by a KEYWORD.  All members of a given list share a common KEYWORD.

• Ranking within the list is stored in a field within the song file (not an external file), in a manner that is easily queried, and is  using MC12 data editing tools -- not manually entered for each of a gazillion songs.

I have thought there may be a way to put nested values into KEYWROD, but it's not obvious to me - and I realize there may be a better approach.

Thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Nested Values in KEYWORD tag?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:52:49 pm »

Keywords are fully nestable.  Add "Keywords" as a pane in a library view.

Then drag-n-drop or tick checkboxes next to values in the panes to do tagging.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lydia42

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 12:26:30 am »

I have done what you suggest for the first level.  I have KW as my left-most pane and I use the tick boxes extensively.  All this works great - for the top-level KW.

My issue is that I do not see how to create a second level.  I'm glad to know it can be done, but I cannot create the desired result.

Specifically, as an example.................................

I am trying to create a top- level KW for "Rolling Stone Top 500" and a second level to store the ranking within that top-level keyword.  I believe the syntax is "RS500\track#"

My efforts so far result in a unique KW for each track for "RS 500" -- the 500 top-;eve; KW defeats the purpose, and the track number is not queryable.

Also, if my concept is feasible, can you steer me to the feature that can build the 2-level KW from values in other tags?

Thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:42:42 am »

Try dragging a keyword in a pane inside another keyword.

Or rename a keyword and put a slash in the path for each level you want. (i.e. A\B\C)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 10:13:58 am »

hmm it sounds like you're asking if there is any way to query different levels in a nested field...

Your specific request requires two things...

1. Be able to refer to a particular level in a nested field for use in expressions, views and rename functions
    For example, how can I output "Level B" in a Level A\Level B expression? Maybe something like =[Field]!2 or similar to refer to the second level. We don't have anything like this yet

We did ask about this, but I don't think there's a way at the moment. Maybe someone who knows a bit more about mid expressions than I do can help.

2. To achieve what you want, using nested fields, you need to output the second level into an expression or view, BUT only if the the first level equals X
   That's another level of complexity... we have IF functions to work with in MC, but without a way to refer to one level or another in a nested field, this won't help you at the moment.

The ideal solution for your problem would be a relational database, where files could belong to multiple database entries and be tagged with separate tracks etc accordingly... but we're not there yet... So hope for a new expression logic, but in the mean time, you might be stuck keeping those multiples copies of the same file like the rest of us :D

Someone jump in if I've missed something big here... :)

Edit:
Sorry, are you talking about setting up your nested panes, or querying the data once it's done?

To set up the field to be nested, just use \ to separate your levels.
How is your chart data stored currently? Is it in another field? Or are you entering it manually?
If the track numbers are stored in another field somewhere, you can save a bit of time...

Eg say you have tracks tagged in the form "Billboard 2005 No. 4" in a custom field [Charts]

To copy it to the KW field and nest it... ie Billboard 2005\4   etc
1. Select the files you're tagging
2. Move/Copy Fields [Charts] to [Keywords]
3. Find & Replace (select Charts)  " No. " with "\"   (don't use the apostrophes)

The last one turns it into a nested field

As far as querying/returning a level elsewhere (ie "Billboard 2005" or "4" in the above example), see above :P

Pages: [1]   Go Up