INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring older library (from 460s)  (Read 1400 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Restoring older library (from 460s)
« on: April 25, 2008, 05:21:23 pm »

I've been in the process of updating my systems for a few weeks now, and I'm about to install MC12.  The last library backup I did was several weeks ago, so I was wondering if there would be any potential issues with restoring a slightly older library (most likely made in the 460s) on the very newest version of MC12.  Can this be done with no issues, or would it be better to install an older version of MC12, restore the "older" library backup, and THEN update to the latest version of MC12?

I'm looking for the most trouble free process, but it would obviously be easiest if I could install the latest MC12 version, and just restore my older library directly to that build.

Thanks,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Restoring older library (from 460s) onto new MC12 version (488).
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 05:36:22 pm »

I don't think the library format has changed since MC12 was released.

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
Re: Restoring older library (from 460s)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 06:26:34 pm »

Larry,

I did upgrade from even before 460s (438) straigth to 477 and now 487 with no problem at all.
Needless to say, you'd better do a backup of your current library before doing the upgrade, just in case.

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 06:35:10 pm »

Okay.

I know that a few times in the past there were instances where library backups made from newer versions of MC were not backwards compatible with older versions of MC, but I have never been clear if the reverse was ever true (i.e. if older library backups were ever incompatible with NEWER versions of MC.)

I just wanted to make sure that it was okay to go ahead and install the latest version of MC even though my library backups are all from earlier MC versions.  It soulds like there shouldn't be any problem.

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 06:39:14 pm »

Larry,

I did upgrade from even before 460s (438) straigth to 477 and now 487 with no problem at all.
Needless to say, you'd better do a backup of your current library before doing the upgrade, just in case.

Christian

Thanks.

Unfortunately, the main system (which was an older one) failed a few weeks ago, so the last backup I have was made before that point.  Luckily, I was coincidentally already getting ready to upgrade two of my systems, so the failure did not catch me as off guard as it could have.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up