INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dvd tags are lost when folder is moved  (Read 1355 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
dvd tags are lost when folder is moved
« on: April 27, 2008, 09:22:38 am »

When I need to reorganize physical media I drag folders to their new location using Drives & Devices in MC. This is a great feature because it behaves like Windows Explorer, updates the library file paths, and maintains all of the other tags.

Yesterday I moved a folder that contained a dvd and noticed that the tags associated with the dvd were lost.

In the past I reported a similar problem that Rename Files from Properties does not work as expected with dvds.

I also reported in the past that MC does not capture and display the running time of dvds.

Excellent progress has been made at improving dvd playing features and I am completely satisifed with dvd playback behavior.

It would be great if JRiver would grind off the remaining edges of online dvd support.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: dvd tags are lost when folder is moved
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 10:25:29 am »

Thanks for bringing this up. It used to bug me a lot too, but now I move the folders before I import. It's a pain to do that though, as the ripped folders go to different final locations and I've also noticed weirdness (tag loss) if I re-import a folder/share containing many DVD titles. So I have to do the following:

Move DVD rip from import folder: import from new location: repeat for each newly ripped DVD: tag DVD rips

What I want to do is this (what I do for all other files):

Import from DVD rip import folder: tag DVD rips: Move to new locations.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 09:32:42 am »

Here's a solution:

Select the DVD IFOs
"Rename files from properties"
Make sure you select the option at the top where you point the database to the new location but do not move the files.
Put in the new desired path of the IFO.
Then move the DVD folder to the corresponding location in Windows Explorer or internally via MC.

rjm

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 10:27:36 am »

Here's a solution

Thanks for the useful work around.

We will still need to manually check for dvds before dragging folders around within Drives and Devices.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 10:39:53 am »

Thanks for the useful work around.

We will still need to manually check for dvds before dragging folders around within Drives and Devices.

Yes, very true. I normally keep my movie DVD rips on a separate network share, so they're not a problem. Yesterday, I separated my TV show DVD rips, though, and now they're in folders with mixed filetypes, e.g. The Ali G folder contains both divX encoded AVis and DVD rips. As you say, I'll have to be careful in future when dragging these folders around.

In general, though, I've found the new functionality in 'rename files from properties' to be more powerful than dragging stuff around; although more visual in providing feedback, the dragging isn't as powerful and versatile as the 'rename files from properties' options, especially if you the contents of one folder need to go to different destination directories.
Pages: [1]   Go Up