Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ape  (Read 1544 times)

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
ape
« on: August 01, 2002, 03:54:25 pm »

I've recently begun ripping my CDs to ape format, based on advice from this board.  But I wonder if I'm locking myself to one program.  MJ is by far the best music software, imo, but I wonder... do any other programs play ape?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:ape
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2002, 04:07:11 pm »

There is an APE plug-in for winamp, and you can always convert your files to another format.  Because APE is lossless, you won't lose anything in the second encoding.

Plus APE is just plain "the right stuff".  Don't look back.  You've seen the light.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2002, 04:17:09 pm »

I am here to witness. I thought I would convert some of my files to MP3 VBR High because I was copying them to an MP3 disc to go in my truck. An added bonus would be I would have more room on my hard drive. Brilliant. I just tried playing some of those files ... atrocious. It will sound good in my truck but not in here, especially because I know what they're SUPPOSED to sound like. The MP3's don't. I am re-ripping to ape as we speak.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

gvag

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2002, 05:16:18 pm »

Go Ape!  I switched about a week ago and am really happy with the results.  If HD space is a consideration use the extra high compression option.  

Depending on the type of music you're ripping you may be able to significantly improve on the average compression of 50%.  I have mostly jazz in my collection and a lot of the ape files are closer to 3:1 than 2:1 eg I just ripped a Charlie Byrd Cd and the wave files were 614 MB, the Ape files were 228 MB.  Mile Davis at Carnegie Hall 438:132.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2002, 05:20:11 pm »

It's sweeping the Land!  An ape in every pot.  

Mercy!

Listening to: '13 - I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me.ape' on Media Jukebox
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

yughi

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2002, 05:46:49 pm »

Ape mmmm

Yep Lossless and good Format, but since I don't have unlimited space ( 20 Gb ) I always use Ogg!
---
Reality is, eating icecream in the sahara!

Bill Ko

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2002, 07:31:41 am »

What better way to archive songs than APE?  I can't think of any.  I like the fact that MJ lets me burn CDs with little hassle.  It autoconverts the files before burning them so I don't have to manually do it beforehand.  Of course, because my APE files are on a NetWare server, MJ USED to complain that it didn't have an 8.3 name even for burning audio CDs, but they went and fixed that right away.

Now all I do is call up a playlist with the songs I want to burn and then just do it.

Bill

Bill Ko

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2002, 07:34:37 am »

Hey, just thought of something.  It would be really cool if MJ made CD audio burning of APE files completely automatic - that is, on-the-fly conversion while burning, instead of converting and then burning... hint, hint...  ;)

Bill

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2002, 10:03:55 am »

Bill Ko, totally agreed.  Hopefully in MJ 9...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

shdbcamping

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2002, 10:58:36 pm »

all my stuff is Lame encoded to mp3. I have MP3 decoding CD players in autos. My library is already ripped. Is there any advantage to APE for me?
Curious.

yughi

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2002, 05:40:26 am »

mp3 vs. APE

APE is lossless that means you keep the BASS, TREBBLE and the High Sounds....

MP3 is lossy that means it takes away allot of the BASS, TREBBLE, and the High sounds.

Now unless your car-audio is capable to play APE files ( most are not ) you better stick with MP3 because most Car Audio MP3 players can only play MP3, WMA or CDA ( Audio CD's )
---
Reality is, eating icecream in the sahara!
Pages: [1]   Go Up