INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Relatively High Memory Usage When Viewing Photos (Compared To Audio)  (Read 1953 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I just recently looked closely at memory usage since the recent change that reduced the library memory size.  However, I seem to have really high memory usage when looking at photos.  MC is using ~20 MB when browsing audio but ~250 MB when browsing photos.  I have a large amount of photos (~9000) but this seems to be using a lot of memory for photos (using up nearly all of my 1GB)? 
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

carbo

• World Citizen

I second that. With my 130 000 pictures, MC goes to nearly 1 Go of memory.
Moreover it seems to never release it even when going back to audio.
I wonder if it's not related to the building of thumbnails as lot of my images still haven't one.
Also I've only noticed this behaviour recently since I've moved to Vista.

Guillaume

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I second that. With my 130 000 pictures, MC goes to nearly 1 Go of memory.
Moreover it seems to never release it even when going back to audio.
I wonder if it's not related to the building of thumbnails as lot of my images still haven't one.
Also I've only noticed this behaviour recently since I've moved to Vista.

Guillaume
It's probably thumbnailing, but it could also be a virus checker.

cncb

• MC Beta Team

I am also using Vista.  But in my case it does release the memory whenever I switch to Audio and then it shoots back up when I switch back to Photos.  All of my thumbnails should be generated so I don't think it is thumbnail creation that is causing it.

JONCAT

I see it with Tiles...all those thumbnails. I use 5 tabs with Audio, Images, & Video. I see 350mb commonly. I've come to notice that with one tab open, I can get mem cranked up high but when I switch to another main scheme like Images (from Audio), MC unloads mem and starts over. With multiple tabs open I stay pegged at 350. I guess that's what memory is for right?

DC

cncb

• MC Beta Team

I tried rebuilding thumbnails but still no luck.  It appears to be related to switching view schemes.  If I startup in an Images view scheme the memory usage is high for ~10s and then jumps to a reasonable ~25 MB.  I can click around in the pane and it stays there.  But as soon as I click on the "Disk Location" view scheme, for example, it jumps to ~250 MB and stays there?  *Note that on startup I see JRWorker.exe flash for a second in the Task Manager right before the memory usage jumps to a lower level but this never seems to happen again when switching view schemes.

I also notice that if I minimize MC to the system tray and then restore the memory usage jumps to the expected low value until I switch to another view scheme again.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Media Center pre-loads the thumbnail data into memory.  In build 479:
Optimized: Thumbnails are pre-buffered to make viewing and scrolling in thumbnail lists smoother. (all cache memory is released when switching views or minimizing the program)

This is a memory vs performance tradeoff.  Scrolling around the thumbnail view does random disk access.  Some disks really bog down on this.  Reading ahead in a lower priority thread solves the issue, but does require memory.

We're open to suggestions here.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cncb

• MC Beta Team

I guess I would request that there be a way to turn the pre-buffering off if possible.  I didn't notice it being particularly "unsmooth" before and now it goes to my disc for virtual memory which really bogs things down.  Thanks.

JONCAT

With multiple tabs open I don't see MC "release all cache memory when switching views or minimizing the program." If I switch Views within a tab I do. Each tab needs to have it's own cache I assume, and if this helps performance I'm not objecting to it.

DC

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

In build 505 and later:
Changed: Thubmnail read-ahead caching will never use more than 1/8 of available physical memory. (again, all memory is released on view switch or minimize of the program)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
Re: Relatively High Memory Usage When Viewing Photos (Compared To Audio)
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 10:56:04 am »

Sounds like a reasonable compromise.  Thanks.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 05:37:30 pm »

This is working very well.  Thanks for this and all the photo handling "tweaks" you have made in this version.  It is really working well for me now and I am now able to use MC exclusively for my photo organization.  Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 11:05:56 am »

Glad to hear it's working well.

Cheers :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up