INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

My typical view schemes sort artists alphabetically, but when you drill down to their albums, how do you prefer to sort them?

Alphabetically
Chronologically

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you sort your albums?  (Read 1342 times)

wombat66

• World Citizen
How do you sort your albums?
« on: June 01, 2008, 12:44:01 am »

I've seen people do it both ways, but I have to go with chronologically. I don't know why, but this is the way I've always sorted LP's and CD's on the shelf. The same way as any discography would sort.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do you sort your albums?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 06:11:50 am »

I have an equal split between chronologically and 'date imported'

depends how I feel on the day ;)

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 06:19:45 am »

I'd like to sort the albums chronologically, but I'd have to fix up the date fields in all my albums.  Some are tagged date of initial release, others are date of remastering, others have a date that is from somewhere else.  I'd have to fix that all up.  That's a project for another day (week, month, eon).

Then I'd get to my classical music and find that the copyright date of the album makes little sense in terms of a chronological listing and decide that I've got yet another large tag cleanup project in front of me.

In the interest of not wanting to take on such a project I stick with alphabetical.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 09:49:37 am »

^^^  so true

...but i've taken on that project and sort them chronologically. i've got about 3,900 albums. i'm missing dates for about 250 of them, and i'm sure about 100 are tagged incorrectly, but i try to fix it as i see mistakes.

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 10:36:43 pm »

I don't actually sort by Artist > Albums, because it's not very helpful in my library. I have hundreds of "Various Artists" albums (which I abbreviate VA), so drilling into albums by starting at Artist is too many clicks. Instead, at the top level of Audio I have separate views for Artists (a custom multi-value field), Albums (titles), Genres, Keywords, Year (of original recording), and Name (of song).

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

gappie

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 01:25:54 am »

i sort the albums chronological (Newest first), or by number plays.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 07:53:43 am »

I have panes on the top and album thumbnails on the bottom.

I sort them per latest date imported, the newest are always at the top.

TC

Matchbox

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 10:32:52 am »

If you decide to use Girder, then you can use any (old) remote you want.  I use an IRMan to receive the IR into the computer, and then let Girder catch and act on the received IR calling the MC12.exe program with the appropriate options to do my bidding.

You'd need to use some old remote that does not currently control anything in your home.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 11:59:17 am »

[genre]  [album artist (auto)]      [year] - [Album]

..and thats not a calculated field at the end but a cached one that stores the content of the calculated version. A combo of chronological+alphabetical.

Very fast this way :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up