INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What does a "Portable Installation" really do (details)?  (Read 1021 times)

shahrukh

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
What does a "Portable Installation" really do (details)?
« on: June 06, 2008, 04:24:53 pm »

Couldn't find any description of this in the MC12 help file, and a search on this forum gives a few specific Q&As from which one can glean some information but not really the "big picture." Is there any more comprehensive documentation on the Portable Installation?

From the couple of lines of description in the install dialogue, it seems clear that the application is installed on the portable drive and can be run from any compatible machine (which I take to be any Windows 32-bit machine). This I suppose means that pathnames in the library are relative instead of absolute, and that the application puts all the customizations in configuration files on the portable drive as opposed to the Windows registry.

But what is not clear is how, if at all, a Portable Installation will coexist with a local installation. Since one must have a local licensed installation even to be able to do a Portable Installation, I assume that there is some expectation of coexistence. For examples of the types of questions I had:

1. Is it OK to have a Portable Installation (PI) and a Local Installation (LI) at the same time? If so, can I actually run them both simultaneously on the same machine (presumably there is no automatic file sharing between them)? Or is the design assumption that one would use one or the other only?

2. Is there a way to get them to share the same library if I want them to? Or do I need to assume that the two installations are completely independent even if the libraries happen to contain overlapping media files?

3. In my application, where I would be running from the portable drive when I am in "DJ mode" playing music from my collection, but running from my computer when I am playing a CD or DVD, or something from the Internet (and may not even have the portable drive handy), what would be the recommended setup?

Thanks ...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: What does a "Portable Installation" really do (details)?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 04:34:22 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up