INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost one Library field. Any chance to recover?  (Read 1359 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Lost one Library field. Any chance to recover?
« on: June 11, 2008, 04:29:57 pm »

A longer time ago for some reason I lost my MC library field stored in "field (number plays).jmd". I don't know why, but the actual file was renamed to "field (number plays) (1).jmd" and a new one was created. I didn't do it myself, so maybe it was MC itself (but why should it do this)!?? And because I don't use this filed every day it took a long time till I noticed this. Update Library from Tags didn't work for this field (only made some new strange things with my library which took an hour to clean up)...

I have both files: the old "field (number plays).jmd" and the new one. Because I didn't notice it a long time, the new file contains some information (namely the number of playbacks) I don't want to lose.

So my question is: is there a chance to merge the information of both files? I'd do it manualy, but I neither can edit the field nor the file manualy.

If there is no other way: is it possible to create a playlist / smartlist which contains every song depending on the number of plays (a song allready played four times should be included four times)? I would have MC playing some days, but then I'll get back the information. I hope someone comes up with an other idea...  ::)

Thanks for any help!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Lost one Library field. Any chance to recover?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 04:44:30 pm »

I don't think it's possible.  You can try renaming the file.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 04:50:41 pm »

Thanks for your fast reply !!

:( I already renamed the file and it worked. But as I said: both files are containing a great number of playbacks. So I'd like to save both of them.

If there is no other way: is it possible to create a playlist / smartlist which contains every song depending on the number of plays (a song allready played four times should be included four times)?
Any chance of doing something like this?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 05:00:47 pm »

You can do the following:

- create a cloned copy of the library
- close MC and replace the "field (number plays).jmd" file with the "field (number plays) (1).jmd" file in the cloned library
- open MC and create a playlist of the files that have correct Number Plays values
- export that playlist in mpl format
- change to your regular library and import the playlist by using the File > Import playlist commad.
- the files that are included in the playlist will be updated with the field values from the mpl playlist. You can open the mpl file with a text editor and check the contents before proceeding.

You can edit almost any field value outside MC by using the "mpl export > edit > mpl import" system. Just remember that only the separate playlist importer in File > Import Playlist can update existing field values. Auto-Importer doesn't do that when it imports mpl playlists.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 05:08:57 pm »

:D THANK YOU Alex! I'll give it a try!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 05:15:33 pm »

I forgot to mention that in the Import Playlist window you need the open the "Files of type" drop down menu and select "Common playlist types...". For some reason it shows only .xml files by default.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up