INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: any way to extract cover art from itunes?  (Read 14694 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
any way to extract cover art from itunes?
« on: June 13, 2008, 09:26:16 pm »

i have some cover art that is embeeded in the files (i guess?) when i dragged and dropped coverart into itunes. however, it is not showing up in media center (and therefore not when i sync my ipod with media center). is there any way to copy those images from the filename to the MC library? quick find in file/covert art directory doesnt work.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

e-head

• World Citizen
Re: any way to extract cover art from itunes?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 10:29:02 am »

I found that program to be a bit flaky and more than what I needed, so i wrote a little vbs script to do this. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll post it up somewhere for you to grab.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 07:36:16 pm »

definitely interested.

e-head

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:21:08 pm »

Version 1:
http://dotsandloops.net/download/itunes_extract_artwork_from_new.vbs.txt

I use this version to grab the artwork from newly imported music (for the time being, I still use iTunes and MC, though that will probably change.) Rename the extension to .vbs, and double click to run. First you need to edit the new_playlist line at the top:
new_playlist = "Music - Added In Last 7 Days".
"Music - Added In Last 7 Days" is a smart playlist I have created.
If you use "Music" and run this file it will save the artwork from your entire library.

Version 2:
http://dotsandloops.net/download/itunes_extract_artwork.vbs.txt

This version presents you with a list of playlists, and you enter in the ones you want to grab artwork from. "Library" and "Music" should be at the top. For your whole library just enter in "Library".

The way both of these work is this...
It looks for iTunes Store artwork, if it finds it, it saves it to a file called "iTunesArt" in the folder containing your files.
If the file "iTunesArt" already exists, it skips and moves on.
It then looks for a file named "folder.jpg". If it finds it, it compares the size with the size of "iTunesArt". If they differ, it renames it to "folder_.jpg"
It then saves the iTunesArt" file to folder.jpg, if it is a jpg of course (I think all iTunes Art is at this point).

The reason for saving it twice like this is I've heard some programs don't play nice with the "folder.jpg" file, so I wanted to have a backup.

It should be safe to run the script many times with the same files, it will just skip them if it finds an iTunesArt file in the folder.
If you have a "folder.jpg" file already, it gets shuffled down to "folder_.jpg". I didn't want to wack existing "folder.jpg" files, as they may have come from somewhere else.

It may take a while for these to run. You'll get a popup when it's done.

All the normal disclaimers exist. Backup your collection, etc... I never touch the music files themselves. The script uses the Apple SDK, and queries the database only, as far as I know, so all should be good.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 02:28:20 pm »

Very cool. Now... is there a way to take a lot of my artwork which is named [Artist] - [Album].jpg and rename them all folder.jpg (each album is contaiend within a different folder).

ndhunay

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 01:35:52 pm »

Hey e-Head, the URLs are not working.

Can you PM me the text file, or post it as an attachment?

Many thanks.

herbman7

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 03:52:20 pm »

Hi All,
related problem but need additional help if poss.

i use a 160gb ipod because there arn't many competitors with its capacity, but i dont like using itunes (because i cant background control it with my keyboard or mouse)
otherwise i'd love to use itunes

so at the moment, i use winamp to play music, and itunes to add/remove tunes or edit names
because winamp will let me make changes, but they dont appear in itunes.. and when i add music to itunes using winamp mi_pod, it dumps them on the ipod root  :|

so anyway, i cant use itunes as a library and therefore my primary methods of listening to music is the ipod (which i plug in and play from itunes/winamp)

i dont have my music library on my local disk because i change pc's so much, and the librarys too big for most of the pcs i use.

this means i backup my ipod bi monthly using sharepod or idump... to an external disk

Changing the ART WORK is a ridiculous task on 17150 tracks, so i started just changing the whole artist to a general artist picture

but when i dump it on the ext disk from sharepod, its just a mp3 file  'artist - song name.mp3' with contributed artists filled in

so my question is... is there a way of backing up my ipod (in the way i described monthly) but attaching the art work to it?

please dont tell me i've wasted time adding artwork!! all i can say is at least its easy (ish ) in itunes

thanks!   ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up