INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turn Off Thumbnail Cache  (Read 1072 times)

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
  • I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
Turn Off Thumbnail Cache
« on: June 18, 2008, 11:44:43 pm »

I hate thumbnails.  Building them just takes up space and a lot of CPU time.  Is there any way to completely disable them so that they are never built?

carbo

• World Citizen
Re: Turn Off Thumbnail Cache
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 03:03:17 am »

I have also noticed that thumbnails are the main reasons for MC slowdown.
Here what I've tried:
- I have a library with around 150.0000 files (100.000 images, 40.000 audio files)
- Lately I've seen a lot of slowdowns in MC: switching views, searching takes around 4-5 seconds.
- I've made a backup of my library and restored it on a new one: search is a lot faster, switching views take almost no times.
Could it be the search inside the thumbnails cache (that takes several Go) which slows everything ?

A solution could be a field for thumbnails like the one for bookmarking: "Build Thumbnails" with the choices "yes", "no", "default". I have a lot of files that don't need thumbnails.

Guillaume

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Turn Off Thumbnail Cache
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 05:05:16 am »

I hate thumbnails.  Building them just takes up space and a lot of CPU time.  Is there any way to completely disable them so that they are never built?

There is a simple workaround for this.

In the filelist view of (all) your viewschemes replace the field Image (small thumbnail) with Image (small Icon)

Option->Library & Folders->Options->Build thumbnails (uncheck)

And finally Options->Tree& View->Thumbnails->Erase all thumbnails
though i've never wanted to ever do this, just not displaying them was enough

You will have to go through all your viewschemes, playlists & smartlists display options to ensure thumbnails are not required to be displayed. If there is, MC will automatically rebuild them again for that view, you cannot disable this behaviour.

From now on, no more thumbs will be built unless you ask MC to do so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up