INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what's with the day and month, or date tag issues  (Read 1902 times)

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
what's with the day and month, or date tag issues
« on: June 21, 2008, 10:27:35 pm »

hola gang -

i'm afraid there's something i've never understood about the way MC tags and displays dates. say i import some files i download from itunes or whatever, and the date is 1995. in MC, 1995 will display in the "year" tag, which seems fine and all. if i then conclude the original tag was wrong, and i change that to 1996, say, i will see 1996 in the "year" tag. however, in the view schemes, i can't choose "year" as a field to sort by, so i choose "date". now then, instead of seeing 1996 in that field, i'll see "1/1/1996 12:00AM". if i choose "date (year)" as my tag field for display/sort, however, it's blank.

so, i have a few questions:
  • is MC not writing the year to the standard ID3 "year" tag?
  • why does there seem to be a discrepancy between which tag i can choose for view? i.e. "year" vs "date" vs "date (year)"?
  • does the "year" tag not really exist, and is MC merely reading the year from the "date" tag?
  • is there any way to suppress displaying the day and month, especially in theatre view schemes and track info plugins?
  • ...or, is there any way to delete all of the day and month info?
  • ...or or, is there any way to force MC to not write day and month info?

erm, i have other questions, but maybe they'll get answered along the way. :)

running newest build of MC12, fyi. thanks in advance...
micah

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: what's with the day and month, or date tag issues
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 05:27:06 am »

it is sometimes a bit confusing. i just change the date tag, not the year tag to for instance 1987. that way you dont get 01/01/1987 etc.
i can choose year for sorting in view schemes though.  ?

:)
gab

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 12:29:10 pm »

it is sometimes a bit confusing. i just change the date tag, not the year tag to for instance 1987. that way you dont get 01/01/1987 etc.

ahh, i see, that's a bit better. can you think of any way in which i could mass-delete the day/month, such as using "move/copy fields" somehow? thanks!

micah

gappie

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 04:05:56 pm »

ahh, i see, that's a bit better. can you think of any way in which i could mass-delete the day/month, such as using "move/copy fields" somehow? thanks!

micah
one thing you could do is type =formatdate([date,0],yyyy) into the date field. make first a back up and try a few. when it works do a bunsh.

gab

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 04:14:44 pm »

one thing you could do is type =formatdate([date,0],yyyy) into the date field. make first a back up and try a few. when it works do a bunsh.

hey, that works great! thanks very much. now then, how can i avoid getting the expanded date in the future? use the "date" field instead of the "year" field for tagging?

micah

gappie

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 04:54:57 pm »

hey, that works great! thanks very much. now then, how can i avoid getting the expanded date in the future? use the "date" field instead of the "year" field for tagging?

micah
that is what i do. although at this moment it seems like useing year when the date field is empty, does work good also. when using youre sure that you get what you want. in previous versions the date field was also always at the top beside the cover in the tag fields. what made it easy to find.. i miss that a bit.

nice that it worked though..

gab

Pages: [1]   Go Up