INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: poor video playback  (Read 2588 times)

cdrmaker

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
poor video playback
« on: June 29, 2008, 04:04:16 pm »

I'm using mc12 for playback of mpeg video, when i play these file in mc12 i get horizontal lines that will run up vertically on the picture intermittently (although it usually happens more on screens where there is some fast motion). this happens with a component or HDMI connection. I also have cyberlink power DVD on my computer and when i play these files using that player they play fine. Is There A Fix? Is this a Known problem? Anyone else having the problem?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: poor video playback
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 05:44:54 pm »

This is a renderer problem. Let me guess; you're not using vista? THe EVR renderer in Vista eliminates this problem. However, I and many others use XP and are/were plagued with the same problem you describe. There are a couple of solutions. The easiest is to download and install Haali renderer. It comes as a package with Haali splitter. Once installed you have to select it as the preferred renderer in MC by going into options>playback. The other way to do it is to launch a file, and then right click in display view >directshow filters>select filters and choose there. You'll need to stop the video file and restart it for changes to take place. You'll have to do this once for every file format, e.g. mkv, avi etc.
The second solution, which I know far less about is to install EVR renderer for XP. I believe this involves having .net 3 installed on your system. GOod luck and let us know whether any of the above works for you.

By the way, the phenomenon you describe is called video 'tearing' if you want to read more about it on other forums for example.

cdrmaker

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 10:53:22 pm »

well i tried both options. The Haali renderer caused the sound to be well off of the video, which is worse than the video tearing. The second option, The EVR renderer, had no effect.
are there any other options, or a way to get the audio sync with the video using the haali renderer? 

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 11:11:30 pm »

well i tried both options. The Haali renderer caused the sound to be well off of the video, which is worse than the video tearing. The second option, The EVR renderer, had no effect.
are there any other options, or a way to get the audio sync with the video using the haali renderer? 

Haali is one of the best pieces of software out there.Are you sure you got the most recent one? For audio I use AC3filter and ffdshow. For AC3 and DTS AC3fileter is greta and it even as a slider to compensate for audio sync issues. Almost always these are a result of bad encodes, but it allows them to be fixed. In your case, though, it sounds like the audio was working previously. I can only guess that it's a filter issue.
I use CoreAVC for h264 stuff and ffdshow for everything else. Haali Media splitter and Haali renderer for file formats too.
I have Haali Splitter 1.8.122.18
There's nothing else I can suggest except making sure your video card drivers are up to date. My tearing started when I upgraded my nVidia drivers. Only installing Haali renderer fixed the tearing after months of trying to find a solution.

Two other threads which may be of use:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46603.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46450.0

By the way, do you have any codec packs installed?

cdrmaker

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 11:51:50 pm »

yes, i have the XP codec pac installed

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 12:50:28 am »

That might be causing a problem with Haali. JRiver staff recommend using CCCP codec pack. I've found that all I need is:

Haali splitter and renderer
CoreAVC Pro
ffdshow
AC3filter 1.4.6

I do have Cyberlink filters installed from my OEM PowerDVD though.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 07:38:47 am »

Two questions, fitbrit.  I'm honestly just curious.

Why do you use AC3Filter, when FFDSHOW includes a perfectly capable AC3 decoder?  What does AC3Filter provide that FFDSHOW's "dolby digital" decoding does not?

Similarly... Why do you use CoreAVC Pro?  Are you on a particularly old machine, and need the additional MPEG-4 AVC (H264) decoding prowess, or is it a quality-based need?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 08:32:47 am »

Two questions, fitbrit.  I'm honestly just curious.

Why do you use AC3Filter, when FFDSHOW includes a perfectly capable AC3 decoder?  What does AC3Filter provide that FFDSHOW's "dolby digital" decoding does not?

Similarly... Why do you use CoreAVC Pro?  Are you on a particularly old machine, and need the additional MPEG-4 AVC (H264) decoding prowess, or is it a quality-based need?

I use AC3filter because I find it easier to use and adjust (especially audio sync) compared to the ffdshow settings. If I'm using a gyroscopic mouse to navigate, I prefer the interface of AC3 filter. That's all really. I use ffdshow for non AC3/DTS sources and I find the interface a bit too small for HTPC use.

I like CoreAVC because it just works a LOT better than ffdshow for h264 material. I have a decent dual core 2.4 GHz Opteron 180. NO, I haven't overclocked it, mostly because my lovely motherboard isn't that good at it. However, even with the latest ffdshow, I find that it chokes on 1080p material, but CoreAVC runs very smoothly. I will test a theory I have, and check to see whether Cool'n'Quiet is selected in the BIOS; this may be throttling my HTPC for serious decoding.

When I first got into the whole HD HTPC thing back in November, I had so many issues and was in codec hell. Now that I've got things working well in MC12, I'm really cautious about what I install on my HTPC.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 08:35:24 am »

I had so many issues and was in codec hell. Now that I've got things working well in MC12, I'm really cautious about what I install on my HTPC.
*Nods*

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 11:26:45 am »

I like CoreAVC because it just works a LOT better than ffdshow for h264 material. I have a decent dual core 2.4 GHz Opteron 180. NO, I haven't overclocked it, mostly because my lovely motherboard isn't that good at it. However, even with the latest ffdshow, I find that it chokes on 1080p material, but CoreAVC runs very smoothly. I will test a theory I have, and check to see whether Cool'n'Quiet is selected in the BIOS; this may be throttling my HTPC for serious decoding.

Of course, CoreAVC is a much better decoder (performance wise anyway).  I just wondered since it isn't free.

Something is probably going on though.  My old Opteron 165 OC'd to 2.4GHz could handle H264 High Profile @ 1080p without an issue at all, and that should be effectively similar to what you're running (minus a slight memory bandwidth advantage to my machine).  I replaced that machine with my new HTPC, but I still have an Opteron 170 @ 2.5GHz that I use all the time and it handles 1080p without issue still (and it has a X1900XT but I'm just using FFDSHOW so the hardware acceleration isn't being used at all).

I'd guess drivers (video card) or Cool n' Quiet.  Could also be the system bus.  What craptastic motherboard are you using?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 11:42:17 am »

I'd guess drivers (video card) or Cool n' Quiet.  Could also be the system bus.  What craptastic motherboard are you using?

I love my motherboard, despite some of its limitations. It's an ASRock s939 SATA2Dual. I've had it a few years now. It has both a full speed AGP and PCIe 16x slot, and I believe you can use both at the same time if you want. It also supports AM2 CPUs and the appropriate memory via a small daughterboard slot. It lacks firewire and gigabit ethernet though, so I have add-in cards for those. Another downside is the overclocking. I've never done much, but I find it's not that stable even with modest increases. I must admit to being ignorant about many things to do with overclocking though, so I may have some bus at the wrong speed or something.  :P
Otherwise, the board has served me well, and in fact my desktop machine has the same one. For a while I was running the same mobo, graphics card and sound card in both machines to make driver, BIOS and software updates beghave more consistently (and be less effort). I foresee a complete overhaul of my HTPC mobo/CPU/video card soon and transfer of the Opty to the desktop (currently 4200 x2).

So, any video experts have suggestions for the original topic starter? :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 12:32:50 pm »

It's an ASRock s939 SATA2Dual.

Know all about that one.  I almost bought it, but I ended up going with a Gigabyte NForce 3 Socket 939 AGP board instead.  They were few and far between, but I loved that Gigabyte board.  I ended up upgrading mostly because I wanted a new video card and couldn't see paying the premium for the AGP flavor of the cards (months and months late too).

I will say... Since I upgraded to my Core2 HTCP with the AMD HD 3870 I couldn't be happier.  I have a great little P35 Gigabyte motherboard that has everything you could possibly need, and it overclocked my very-low-end Core2 chip to 3.1GHz without issue at all.  If you were buying it now, I'd go with a AMD HD 4850 and probably generally follow the Tech Report suggestions here: http://techreport.com/articles.x/15009/4

Only big thing I'd change from that suggestion might be to skimp out on the CPU a little, since all the 45nm Core 2 chips overclock like a dream (definitely the Opteron 165 of today).  You don't even really need to know much to get these suckers running much faster.  Just turn the FSB up and turn the memory divider down to keep the RAM running in-spec (unless you also get nice quality RAM).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 12:35:11 pm »

So, any video experts have suggestions for the original topic starter? :)

I think I've seen what he's talking about, but only on a projector output where I wasn't able to bump the refresh rate up much.  Have you checked refresh rates?

Could you take a picture of the line you're talking about, because I think it could be one of a few different things.  It could be tearing, which is one thing, but it could be the "creeping upward line thing" that I've seen on some LCD projectors.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 12:52:41 pm »

Install CCCP.

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 02:53:34 pm »

Install CCCP.

I would have agreed until I tried using some of the x264 GUI Frontends and had issues due to some of the CCCP builder's configuration choices.

In the end all your really need for playback is:
Haali Media Splitter (Also Includes the Haali Renderer.  Make sure you DISABLE the system tray icon.)
latest clsid build of ffdshow (Make sure you don't limit ffdshow to only certain apps)

The only reason I'd suggest moving up to CCCP is if you don't already have a DirectShow MPEG2 decoder for playing DVDs.

-John

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 08:58:06 am »

Know all about that one.  I almost bought it, but I ended up going with a Gigabyte NForce 3 Socket 939 AGP board instead.  They were few and far between, but I loved that Gigabyte board.  I ended up upgrading mostly because I wanted a new video card and couldn't see paying the premium for the AGP flavor of the cards (months and months late too).

I will say... Since I upgraded to my Core2 HTCP with the AMD HD 3870 I couldn't be happier.  I have a great little P35 Gigabyte motherboard that has everything you could possibly need, and it overclocked my very-low-end Core2 chip to 3.1GHz without issue at all.  If you were buying it now, I'd go with a AMD HD 4850 and probably generally follow the Tech Report suggestions here: http://techreport.com/articles.x/15009/4

Only big thing I'd change from that suggestion might be to skimp out on the CPU a little, since all the 45nm Core 2 chips overclock like a dream (definitely the Opteron 165 of today).  You don't even really need to know much to get these suckers running much faster.  Just turn the FSB up and turn the memory divider down to keep the RAM running in-spec (unless you also get nice quality RAM).

That's funny; I had the same gigabyte mobo you had before I got the ASRock. I sold the gigabyte to a friend cheaply because I could never get it to work. I was newish to making PCs then, and didn't realise I had a bad stick of RAM. My friend was happy 'cos he got a great mobo/cpu combo from me.
I agree mostly with what you recommend now, except the ATi/AMD graphics card. To be sure, I almost bought a 4850 last week, but then I stumbled across some important info; the card will not send multichannel PCM audio over HDMI to my Yamaha rx-v663 receiver; to the Yamaha, it will appear as a DVI device without the ability to send audio. nVidia and Intel chipsets don't have this problem, and older Yamahas don't either. The Onkyo 606 also shares this unfortunate behaviour with the 4xxx series. I think I'll be waiting for nVidia 8300 mobos or the intel compatible equivalent from them.

Since we're going quite off topic, feel free to PM me to continue, glynor. :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 11:39:02 am »

Yeah... That's too bad about that Yamaha.  Hopefully Yamaha will issue a firmware fix.  I doubt AMD will end up doing it, since they can somewhat reasonably claim "not our problem" on it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up